Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 4, 2012



Long and Short Reviews welcomes Stacey Coverstone whose newest book Tularosa Moon releases today from The Wild Rose Press. Tularosa Moon is the sequel to Stacey's 2010 release, Lucky in Love, and picks up where it left off—giving Cole Roberts his own, and well-deserved, story.

Stacey and her husband, Paul, celebrated their 32nd anniversary last month. She told me that he was "the greatest guy on Earth."

"Two years ago, he suggested we renew our vows, so he and I did a road trip from Maryland to Bandera, Texas. We stayed at the Silver Spur Guest Ranch, where we rode horses, took in a rodeo, did some gun shooting at a local club, and 'got re-hitched' in the back garden of the ranch. A woman judge conducted the ceremony. Paul picked wildflowers for my bouquet, which I tied up in a pink bandana. I wore a white sundress and pearls, and Paul wore a white western yoke shirt, a bolo tie, and cowboy boots. It was the best day of my life," Stacey told me. "We have two grown daughters and a precious seven-month-old granddaughter. Although she’s not old enough to ride yet, we bought her a fuzzy rocking horse for Christmas. We call him Little Bill, because he looks like our family horse."

She shares an office with Paul and Stacey told me that his side of the room is usually a mess.

" My side is fairly organized and uncluttered, except for the vacuum cleaner, carpet cleaner, ironing board and baby bathtub that are currently taking up space," she said with a laugh. "Hanging above my desk are my two framed college diplomas, a collage of my book covers one of my daughters created for me, as well as some western d├ęcor for inspiration. Sitting on my desk are some Painted Pony statues (more inspiration), a ceramic bowl full of odds and ends, and a stack of recycled paper that I keep story notes on. Also on my desk is something my other daughter gave me: a blown glass heart and hummingbird with the words 'I Love You Mom' inscribed on it. In addition, there is a rock with the word IMAGINE carved into it. I sit next to two big windows that look out onto my yard where my cats usually play. I like my space."

Stacey's favorite story is always the one she's currently working on, because in order for the story to be the best she can come up with, she has to be completely invested in it from the beginning until the end.

"Most authors will probably tell you that their books are like their children—it’s impossible to choose a favorite. You love them all equally, and you put the same amount of time, energy, hard work, sweat and tears into each of them, nurturing them and watching them grow," she explained. "And then, the final reward comes when your babies finally go out into the world on their own—and people like them!"

It's exciting when an author hears from readers, she said, as well as humbling.

"Most readers who have complimented me have said that I write characters they can relate to and that I’m good at creating visual scenery. They like my touch of humor, and the fast-paced, page-turning way I write. Someone said I’m a 'master in descriptive writing' and am fast becoming the 'Mistress of the Western Romance.' One reader said I write 'dynamic and well developed characters.' Another reader who has enjoyed all of my books describe them as 'incredible reads', 'not being able to put the book down' and an author she continuously looks forward to reading. Nice words indeed," she admitted.

"What did you want to be when you grew up?" I asked.

"Probably most writers say this, but I really did want to be a famous novelist. I’m not famous yet, but I am living my dream of writing books. For a while, I also wanted to be a weather girl on TV."

If Stacey could do it all again, she would give herself more time to determine whether or not a particular publisher was right for her before submitting multiple projects.

"Not every publisher meets a person’s goals, so if I were to start my journey again, I would certainly do my research better, be sure of my own publishing goals, and be more patient," she told me.

"Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book," I said. "Where would you most likely want to go?"

"Wow, that’s a tough one, because I’ve had the opportunity to travel so much of the U.S., as well as to other countries, including living on a tropical island for many years. I suppose I’d like my publisher to allow me to rent an R.V. and travel for several months to my favorite states to do research for more than one upcoming book. My favorite places to hit would be: New Mexico, Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, and North and South Carolina."

Stacey has three favorite quotes. The first is by Larry McMurtry, who is one of her all-time favorite authors: If you wait, all that happens is you get older.

"That is also my husband’s philosophy," Stacey said, "which is why he encouraged me to get my master’s degree later in life, which led me to my writing career. The second quote is something I heard on the radio one day. It sums up the way I feel about humanity in general: Too many people who don’t know anything about anything say too much about what they don’t know. And the third is one many people might be familiar with. It’s the Serenity Prayer, and I try very hard to live by it each day: Oh, God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Finally, I asked, "What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?"

"I tell all new writers I meet to work hard, do their homework, and make their dream happen. No one can do it for them. It’s important for writers desiring to get published to do their research when it comes to how to submit to publishers, and which publisher to submit to. Their work must be the best it can be before it’s submitted, and they must follow the publisher’s guidelines. A writer must make sure his or her work fits the publisher’s needs before submitting, so as not to waste time for both parties. I also tell them to be prepared to do a lot of self-promotion. There are so many options these days, and the business seems to be changing almost every day. It’s important for writers to become knowledgeable in all facets of the business so as to protect themselves and make the best decisions based on their own publishing goals."

About the Author:
Stacey Coverstone is a multi-published author of western romance novels and ghost stories. Her Work in Progress, a romantic suspense, detours from the western romance genre, and is set in a fictional beach town in Maryland. Married with two grown daughters and a baby granddaughter, Stacey lives on the East Coast in a house on a hill in the country. When she’s not writing, she enjoys the family pets—two German Shepherds, two talkative cats, and the sweetest horse in the world, Bill. She likes camping and traveling with her husband, photography, and creating scrapbooks of her adventures. She also enjoys cheering on her husband in Cowboy Action Shooting competitions, as well as watching him and Bill compete in western riding events.

You can run, but you can't hide from love...

Cole Roberts has been unlucky in love--twice--and he's sworn not to get involved again. Renovating the New Mexico family horse business into a guest ranch is a good distraction, until the ranch's new masseuse arrives. Captivating but secretive, the brown-eyed beauty intrigues him.

Three years ago, Lindy Grainger testified against a murderer and landed in witness protection. Her latest identity is masseuse at a guest ranch, but how long before she must reinvent herself--again? She can't get involved with anyone, no matter how big-hearted and charming he is.

Cole's heart can't take another rejection. Lindy has to steer clear of relationships. But as their attraction grows, a murderer bent on revenge closes in, and Lindy must trust Cole with her secret or lose him. Will the truth set her free, or tear them apart?


Tanya Hanson said...

Awesome post, Stacey. And I've read several of your books. You are wonderful. Did I tell you I just checked out A Haunted Twist of Fate, from the 14-day rack at the public library? I was so excited, I just wanted to shout out, I know her!

It was such a pleasure to meet you and Paul that wonderful time in Bandera, and now to be gramma's together!

God bless you both with more happy years together, and us readers with more wonderful books.

Nona Raines said...

Congratulations, Stacey! Cole sounds like a wonderful hero! I just love Western romances!

Victoria Roder said...

What a great interview and so fun to learn about the woman behind the books!

Karen H in NC said...

I enjoy reading interviews like this because I learn so much about new-to-me authors. Loved your idea of traveling around the USA in an RV courtesy of your publisher. That would be great!

Nancy Jardine said...

Lovely post and great update on you, Stacey. Best wishes to you with your newest projects.

Stacey said...

Thanks to all the ladies who stopped by to leave a comment, and a big thanks to Marianne and Judy for having me today.