Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, March 16, 2012


Long and Short Reviews welcomes D.B. Moon, whose newest book Accidental Intent will be released on March 17 through Rebel Ink Press.

"I began a contemporary romance, and a dead body appeared. This is what happens when I give my characters free will," she told me.

When drugs and murder invade sleepy Longmont, Colorado, Lucy Lafferty, resident dog trainer, finds her quiet existence turned inside out with her name added to a rising body count. And that wouldn't be good for her four-legged furry family or her prized designer shoe collection.

During the rising heat of summer, Lucy Lafferty reaches the conclusion that men aren't worth the effort, especially with an ex-sex partner who pushes to revive a relationship that never existed. But when she's thrown together on a murder investigation with Detective Nicolai Petrovski, the mercury rises to dangerous levels that have nothing to do with the season. Investigating a backwoods dog rescue unknowingly puts them both into dangerous territory and Lucy, despite all her bravado, can't help falling for the magnetic cop.
She also has a short story, "My Humiliating Valentine," that will be included in the Rebel Ink Press Tempting Cupid Anthology, which is a romantic comedy set in the most unlikely of romantic places—jail. Her current WIP is another contemporary romantic comedy.

"Four weeks, three friends, two weddings, one outrageous story," she told me. "It is currently untitled, but I am having a blast writing it!"

Desi has been making up stories since she was a child. She wrote her first script in the fourth grade, rounded up some friends, and performed it in class.

"The bug had bit and I have been writing ever since," she said. "Over the years I have taken creative writing courses, entered contests and continue to work on honing my craft."

She has several favorite authors, with Christopher Moore being at the top of her list.

"His wit and imagination amazes me every time I pick up one of his books," she explained. "The zaniness of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series makes for a fun roller coaster ride. And Khaled Hosseini’s story weaving is captivating as well as thought provoking."

Desi's stories unfold organically. She will often have a flash of a "what if" question, then as she writes the characters take over.

"I merely take dictation after that," she said. "When the story is finished, I try to meld the rampage my characters have wrought into an enjoyable, readable story."

"What is your work schedule like when you are writing?" I asked.

"With an incredibly active four year old running amok, I work hard to maintain some balance in my life. My day begins at 5a.m. It is the best time for me to write, before the chaos explodes. I can get between two to three hours before the madness begins. In the afternoon, I might be able to squeeze in another two hours during 'rest' time. That is, if my child cooperates."

There are two aspects of writing that Desi has a hard time with. The first is pushing through the middle.

"I usually hit a wall about half way through any manuscript," she confessed. "Sticking to my schedule, strike negotiations with my characters and sticking to my guns is what helps me finish what I had started. The second, and most recent development, is once your story is done, it is done. There is no going back and rewriting that one passage you weren’t quite sure about. It is going to be released and there is very little you can do about it."

"Have you ever cried during a movie?"

"I am a sucker for sappy romantic movies. When I am down and need a good cry I will pop in The Color Purple or Beaches, grab a box of Kleenex and let go. The last time I cried in the movie theater was during the showing of The Time Travelers Wife. Sadly, I seemed to be the only one in the theater affected by the ending."

Along with being a writer, Desi is also an official dog trainer. She lives with one dog that she described as "lovably neurotic."

"She was my project dog, while I was studying for my training certification and now that I am an official dog trainer, it is up to me to undo all the confusion I caused her while I was learning. Someday I would like to expand my pack by a few more four legged slobber monsters."

"Have you ever made a crank phone call?" I wondered.

"Giggleitis has plagued me my entire life," she admitted. "I can’t get through a practical joke, play hide and seek, or make a prank call without bursting into giggles."

About the Author:
D.B. Moon lives in Boulder, CO with her husband Eben, two kids and an ever growing menagerie. An animal activist and a coffee snob, D.B. hunts for the most elusive drink of all, the perfect caramel latte.



Debby said...

I love dog stories. Your dog sound wonderfully loveable. debby236 at gmail dot com

Desi Moon said...

Thanks for stopping by Debby!

AI is full of dogs of all shapes and sizes (Three take center stage)

Kari Thomas said...

LOVED your Post, Desi! Wishing you GREAT Sales on your latest!

hugs, Kari Thomas,