Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Spotlight: Karen Cote


Considering I am a Romantic Suspense writer, it is safe to say I write about many heroes. Strong, courageous, know; the stuff fairytales are made of. The heroes I want to discuss today, however, are not fiction at all. On the contrary, they are all too real, as is the nightmare they live each day. The children at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

These little soldiers live in a world different from most. They don’t wake to help Mom shop or sail off to daycare with tiny peers. They wake to fear, pain, and chemotherapy. Such troopers and that’s why the children who undergo what they do and still deliver such love and laughter are what a true hero is made of. The true heroes of the world. Strong, courageous and fearless. My heroes.

Their names deserve to be mentioned in prayer and encouragement. I’ve listed a few below.   
            Hayden – 6 years  (Medulloblastoma)
            Zowie – 7 years  (Acute Myeloid Leukemia)
            JaLise – 4 years (Medulloblastoma)
            Brayden – 2 years (Retinoblastoma)
            Emma - 7 years (Glioblastoma)
            Katelyn – 7 years (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia)
            Brady – 3 years (Neuroblastoma)
            Seth – 6 years (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia)

You can learn more about these adorable little people and maybe even become a partner by visiting St Jude.
St. Jude is a place of miracles where families don’t have to choose between the care of one child’s illness and food on their tables for others at home.


Patricia said...

Karen, I think we've all seen Marlo Thomas (right?) on the television which is where I learned about St. Jude's Hospital. My heart goes out to those little ones as well as their families, struggling to keep those kids alive. It truly is a collaborative effort.

Vicki Batman said...

Hi, Karen. Thank you for allocating time to think of loved ones.

May God Bless them all and you.

Karen Cote said...

Yes Patti, I believe Marlo's dad founded it but not sure. As a partner, a person receives monthly updates on where donations are going. Those kids are so beautiful and I'm grateful for the generosity of St. Jude.

Karen Cote said...

Thank you for stopping by Vicki. May God Bless your generous heart and all you do as well.

Pat Dale said...

Talk about heartbreaking! I grew up learning that there is no fair in life, but seeing these kids in the predicament they're in, no fault of their own, makes me want cry out. NOT FAIR!But, fair or not, there they are, and it's up to us to do what we can for them.
My youngest daughter's brother in law and his wife had triplet girls almost two years ago. Two of the girls are normal in every way, while the third has spent her entire life in a critical care unit, first in Boston's premiere children's hospital and now in Kansas City. After countless operations and millions of dollars spent to save her, she's there now, waiting to linger away and die. God, what a tragedy!
Heart problems, stemming from her time pre-natal with her siblings. That's what they say, anyway. We wait and pray for God to take her home with Him.

Karen Cote said...

Oh Pat! That is heart wrenching! The devastation must be unbearable. Please know prayers are going up for her and your family.

Thank you for sharing your story. Tragic.

Danielle said...

My brother started having headaches when he was 4 years old. By the time he was 7, he couldn't walk backwards, he couldn't do the things a "normal" 7 year old could do, and he couldn't even describe simple things like "toast". We knew something was going on but due to our insurance, it wouldn't cover any type of cat scan or anything. Finally, when he was 8 years old, a doctor had him take a cat scan and paid for it out of his own pocket. We found out he had a brain tumor. By the time he had the surgery and the tumor was removed it was the size of a grapefruit. 2010 marked his 20 years without any tumors. While he still has issues with seizures, he still has his life. I pray for these little souls as well as their families who have to go through this ordeal. This is an amazing thing you are doing Karen. You are an amazing person for bringng awareness to others.

Karen Cote said...

Danielle! What a wonderful and generous doctor he was. Oh my gosh, the size of a grapefruit? You see? It's people like that doctor who inspire hope for the world. Your acknowledgement and your brothers survival attest to the importance.

It's that and what St. Jude does for families that impacts lives. Just so beautiful and unselfish.

Gratitude for people like that doctor rests deeply in my heart. I thank God for him, others like him and you for letting people know about him.


Danielle said...

Thanks Karen! While there are a lot of things wrong with this world...I like to think about the better things in life. Thank you Karen for reminding me of some of those people.

gail roughton branan said...

I don't, thank God, personally know a child in need of St. Jude. That's because He knows I'm not strong enough to handle it. My heart bleeds every time one of their telethon specials come on, and I picture what life could have been had that been my child, what it would be now were it my grandchild. If I were a millionaire, I'd leave my entire fortune to St. Jude. Angels walk among us.

Karen Cote said...

I love you Gail. What a heartfelt post. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your prayers. Little guys are so precious and stronger than we can ever imagine.

Hugs dear friend.