Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wednesday Spotlight: D. L. Mains

Marketing


I went to a marketing conference for work and I learned how to sell to women, how to advertise effectively and how to make a brand and sell it on social networks.

Does this make me an effective marketer? In my opinion, it just scares me to death.

I am a writer. I am an introvert. How the devil did I get a marketing job?

I imagine it’s because I can sit in the background and write clever little strategies and post them. Put me in a room with ‘real’ marketing personnel and I’m a wall flower. Can it be good to be in the background?

I’m learning, with today’s internet-devouring target audience that, yes, it can. With Facebook and Twitter, you don’t have to be face-to-face with your target audience. I can create wonderful ads without looking or interacting with anyone other than the computer screen. I can post to my hearts content and never have to ‘get a word in’ because I’m not competing with anyone.

If I had to compete with anyone for voice time, forget it, I’d be a goner. I stood in the ‘Networking’ room at the conference surrounded by ‘talkers’ and felt like I was being swallowed by a black hole.

But low and behold, I went to the ‘Social Networking’ break-out session and learned that I was doing everything right. All these ‘talkers’ didn’t have an advantage over me because you can’t talk over anyone or be more charismatic than anyone else, unless you can put your charm into words. Hey! I can do that! I’m a writer.

I guess that’s why my boss gets paid more than me. LOL

No comments: