Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: Rachel Rossano

Mr. Rochester and Mr. Spock

Jane Eyre, do I need to say anything more? A plain heroine with fire and spirit overcomes humble beginnings to discover her true love. It has been a favorite book of mine for ages, since I first read it as a teen. I think I had my first book character crush on Mr. Rochester.

I can’t say he was my first character crush since I started crushing on Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock of Star Trek fame from early childhood. While on the family visits to my adopted grandparents’ house, my father would sit down with Grandpa Daley and watch episodes of the original Star Trek. My grandmother didn’t think it was appropriate watching material for a young child. As a mother, I agree with her. But at that point, I couldn’t get enough.

Envision a four-year-old crouching behind an armchair in her red flannel nightgown. She curls her toes on the cool wood floor as she waits breathlessly for a glimpse of her hero. Ears perked, she prays she will not be discovered too soon. Melodramatic, yes, but I was a melodramatic child. Just ask my mother. I kept pretending to faint, even worked on perfecting my form.

As a writer, I still tend toward tall, dark, and mysterious. Darius, the hero of The Mercenary’s Marriage, definitely fits the description. A foreign mercenary skilled in all the weapons of the era, he has gained his king’s trust and esteem. Upon breaking siege on the castle of a rebel noble, he notices the presence of a lowly slave girl. Something about her intrigues him. Thus begins their adventure.

Who was your first character crush? What attracted you to him?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Rachel Rossano, authoress of The Mercenary’s Marriage, buries herself in books between diapers, bottles, and preschool transportation for her three little ones. Her books are available on Amazon and Smashwords.

She blogs ( and keeps her fans up to date on her current activities on her Facebook page ( You can also visit her website (


Miss Mae said...

My first book crush would be Jim in the Trixie Belden mysteries. :)

I loved Star Trek too, but I'll have to say none of them gave me the sighing goose bumps. LOL

Rachel Rossano said...

Hmm... I don't remember much of the Trixie Belden series. I will have to try them out again. :)

Marie Higgins said...

Who don't I have a crush on? ROFL! I swear, I was in love with ALL of Judith McNaught's heroes... Oh, then came LaVryle Spencer's heroes. Can't forget Kathleen Woodiwiss' heroes.

Yeah, I LOVE a good hero! (grins)


Rachel Rossano said...

Thank you, Marie. I also thoroughly enjoy a good hero. They make the best books. :)

Amy said...

I believe that my first crush at the tender age of, oh maybe 7, was one of the boys in the Babysitter's Club series.

Rachel Rossano said...

My friends were huge fans of those books when I was growing up. :) I used to write stories with personas named after characters from them for my friends when I was a teenager. :)