Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Sue Perkins

I’ve always thought I should write a book.” Ever said those words before? I’ve heard them several times. Once I heard the phrase from a lady immobile after an accident. My reply was to ask her what was stopping her. She couldn’t move around and she had a computer, so get writing!

Most people have at least one good thought in their mind about a plot for a book. The hard work comes with developing the plot and writing the story so that first publishers and then readers are interested in your work. Another must for succeeding as an author is perseverance.

I was an instant success. It only took me seventeen years to get my first book published. Luckily since then I’ve worked with some of the best eBook publishers which has not only enriched my writing, but also made me eager to continue in my career as an author.

It’s hard to get a book published, but the hard work begins as the ink is drying on the contract. Edits, edits and more edits, input into the cover art, promotion to get your name and your novel’s name out into the big wide world. That’s what it’s all about. If you succeed and sign a contract, please be nice to your publisher, editor and cover artist. Don’t forget, your job is to write the book, their job is to make it stand out from all the others for all the right reasons.

You think you’ve written a great book, but manuscripts always need to be tightened, typos removed etc. It’s the very rare author who can write a book that needs no editing. You also may have a brilliant idea for the cover, but your cover artist knows what will work in the commercial market.

So if you keep saying “I’ve always thought I should write a book” - don’t think about it, sit down and start typing.

Sue’s website is:
Sue’s blog:

1 comment:

Marva Dasef said...

You're literally "here all week" like the standup comics say. Nice to see you in the spotlight, Sue.