Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Sue Perkins


Traveller of the World

I am a world traveller, or at least I used to be before my children appeared on the scene.

Born and brought up in England, I visited to many exotic places with my husband, as his job required him to travel a lot. The Middle East, the Maldives, Gibraltar, Singapore, India, Japan, United States, Canada I’ve visited small parts of all of these countries. I’ve even been through the Suez Canal just after the Middle East war and found this a fascinating experience. Plus I lived in Kuwait for two years before the troubles started.

My writing is enriched by these experiences, but please don’t rush off to my books expecting to find an exotic far off place as the setting. Then again maybe you will. Normal every day scenes to some, are exotic to others. We eventually settled in New Zealand and have lived here for over twenty years and brought up our children in this country. Of course children are always contrary and now they are adults they have returned to England, but we still love it here. Two of my romance books are set in this wonderful country I call home, with another set in wartime England.

I still love travelling and have recently visited my children in England, plus my beautiful grandson. It’s great to see the changes in the country I grew up in, and the changes in people’s lives. Nevertheless, it’s still wonderful to come home to peace and quiet. As I write this the sun is shining, the sky is blue and the birds are singing. Beautiful!

Travelling definitely broadens the mind. I’d urge anyone to give it a try. You don’t have to go abroad, visit a place in your own country where you’ve never been before. An attraction you wouldn’t normally go near. A museum you think will be dry and dusty. You’ll be surprised how much your interest will be peaked. Open your mind to the experience of life and see where it takes you.

Sue’s website is: http://www.sueperkinsauthor.com
Sue’s blog: http://sueperkinsauthor.blogspot.com

11 comments:

gail roughton branan said...

Such richness of background to draw from! We are so lucky to have those among us who can share such!

Jennifer Wilck said...

Traveling definitely broadens the horizons and helps to show there is more to the world than one's small corner of it. We live in the US, but last summer we took a family vacation to London and Paris with our daughters, who were 9 and 11 at the time. They were amazed by all they saw and they still talk about it. It's amazing to hear them compare things they experience now to things they saw in London or Paris!

jrlindermuth said...

Too many Americans (and I venture to say it's true of those in other countries)never venture out of their home area and, thus, have a narrow view of the world we share. A definite truism--travel broadens the mind.

Penny's Tales said...

Yikes Sue......You are the actual world traveler. Very interesting!
One of my traveling dreams is to get to New Zealand!

Great site also - Big congrats!

StephB said...

Sue, I think traveling really rounds a person's life and broadens the horizons. When I was in the army I had the chance to go to Europe and I don't regret it in the least. My European adventures have resonated as some settings have found their way into my writing such as France, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Keep traveling, Sweetie.
Smiles
Steph

Jillian said...

Travel delights my soul. I love it. Hate the getting there part (airplanes) but love being in a new place to explore.

Adelle Laudan said...

I just had this conversation with my girls the other day when talking about college plans. Yikes! It's almost that time... Anyhow, I told them if there was any one suggestion I could give them, it would be to travel before they settle down.
Once we have kids our priorities definitely shift. I hope they do. I envy your memories of places around the world.

Marva Dasef said...

I envy your world travel, but we're trying to catch up. Maybe I'll see you at your home someday!

I look forward to your appearance on my blog on the 18th.

Note to others: Sue will be featured all month long here and there for the MG/YA Blogathon. See my blog page tab for the schedule.

Kari Thomas said...

Sue, start writing your Memoirs now while all your travels experiences are fresh in your mind. It would make a wonderful "Book" gift for your children, grandchildren, etc. One of my great grandfathers did that ---and its a priceless book for all of our family.

Hugs, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

Sue Perkins said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. Most of my travels happened 20 years ago but they are still fresh in the mind so maybe I should write them down. Most people think of travelling as going abroad, but there's most likely a beautiful destination within a day's travel of where you live. Don't forget your daily scenery is someone else's foreign port.

Sadie and Sophie said...

We're enjoying "getting to know you; getting to know all about you!" New Zealand and Australia are two places we've always wanted to visit. Maybe someday we'll surprise you with a knock on your door!

Sophie & Sadie