Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Minnette Meador

***** This is part of the Virtual Book Tour for The Gladiator
Prince
. Please leave a comment for a chance to win a $25 Gift Certificate at the end of the tour in addition to the weekly prize. Follow the tour at Goddess Fish Promotions. *****

Welcome to a week of blogging on Long and Short Reviews! I am so happy to be celebrating the release of THE GLADIATOR PRINCE with my favorite friends. I’ll be sharing excerpts from the novel and some articles about life in ancient Rome this week and every day there will be a new prize! Also, keep in mind that every blog site you post on (and every day you post here) throughout the tour, you’re name will be entered into a fabulous contest to win a Kindle with my three Centurion Series novels on it, or a tote filled with wonderful Roman trinkets, or a $100 GC to Amazon! These prizes will be awarded at the end of the tour. I thought we might start out with something a little steamy… so grab a cup of coffee, put your feet up and let’s get the party started!


***
Phaedra has a problem; she has been promised in marriage to Hasani, but he demands of her father that his new wife be skilled in the art of love. So she comes up with a scheme to learn what she must by watching Thane with one of the many women who pay for his services. After they are done, Phaedra loses her balance and tumbles headlong into Thane’s arms… Little does she know that Thane wants to teach her a lesson. Little does he know how hard that lesson just might be…


THE GLADIATOR PRINCE
By Minnette Meador

CHAPTER V EXCERPT (WARNING: ADULT CONTENT)

“I could teach you, you know?” Thane was startled that he said it and even more when she turned around.

Her eyes darted quickly over his body, finally settling for his chin. “What?”

An irresistible thought sparked in Thane’s mind. Perhaps he could teach her something at that. He pulled the flap up between his legs, making certain to do it slowly for her benefit. Phaedra would get a lesson, all right, but not the one she came for.

“I said I could teach you.”

“What makes you think I need lessons in… in…”

“Sex?” He lifted one hand and ran it through his hair, knowing this was going to be very satisfying. “Partly because you cannot even say the word and partly because it is obvious you are still a virgin.”

Her eyes got as big as Persian tiles. “A virgin? Me? Why, I will have you know I was married to the son of a very famous Roman senator. Virgin indeed!”

Thane nodded and rubbed his hands against his thighs. If he thought he could get away with it, he would have turned her over his knee first, but this was better.

“I have heard,” he said quietly. “There is a rumor your husband preferred men to women.”

That very instant all the posturing, all the lies and manipulations dissolved from her face leaving only a mask of stark truth. “You know nothing about my husband.”

A twinge of guilt tugged at Thane’s heart. He had almost betrayed Bahar and had to be more careful, but this beautiful girl was threatening his composure.
Taking in some air, he stared at his upturned palm, wondering if he had the courage to finish this.

“You are right. I know nothing of him. I apologize for my presumption.” He circled around her, making certain he was close enough to almost touch her, expecting her to bolt at any moment. “I think I know a little about you.”

She would not meet his gaze. “I doubt that.”

“You are curious about what you saw here tonight. I can see it in your eyes.” He stopped at her back and lifted a lock of hair into his fingers. “I can smell it from your…”

“Animal!” she spat. “Insanity!”

“You have never been caressed by a man, have you?”

There was a long silence, and Thane thought for a moment that Phaedra would run from the room. Instead, she stood very still, and all pretense left her voice.

“No,” she whispered.

Her back shivered when he laid the hair back down and pushed his fingers through the locks to bring them to his nose. They smelled of the local Briton soap and lavender, which must have put Abella out a fortune. His fingers still laced in her hair, Thane gently pulled her head back and laid it on his chest to look into those dark eyes. She did not resist him. When he took one hand out of her hair and lightly touched the soft skin under her chin, he could feel her tremble all over. It sent waves of desire coursing through his blood. He kept his deep baritone low, quiet to maximize its effect.

“Something happened to you tonight as you watched us.”

“Yes.” Her voice was husky, quiet.

Turning her head to the left, he brushed back the hair and touched the side of her neck. Bumps rose under the pads of his fingers, and she closed her eyes. He brought his nose to the exposed skin under her ear and breathed in her scent. Her skin smelled of wood smoke, the forest and something else that sparked fire in his loin.
Bringing his mouth to her ear, he made sure his lips brushed the tiny shell.

“I can smell your need,” he breathed. A sudden look of guilt tightened her brow and turned down the corners of her mouth. He slid his fingers across her throat and up under her chin. Her skin was as supple as down against his rough hand. “It is nothing to be ashamed of, girl.”

“I know,” she replied. The tremble in her body deepened sending tendrils of heat into his partially engorged erection. Sliding his hand to the other side of her head, he tilted it away from him, exposing more of her neck, and ran his moist lips along the protruding muscle. Yanking her hard against his chest, he made certain she could feel him through her tunic. She tried to move away, but he held her tight.

Kissing up her neck, he took her ear lobe in his mouth and bit it lightly. “Do you wish to learn?”

“I…” Her voice quivered against his fingertips. “P…please,” she said.

“All right.”

Thane let her go, and a moment of disappointment flashed across Phaedra’s face, but she lowered her chin almost to her chest. He sat on the bench and lifted a hand to her. “Come here,” he said gently.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Somewhere between thirty and dust...red hair, blue eyes...six kids, one slightly used husband, and any number of pets from time to time... wanttabe hippy... wanttheirmoney yuppie...pro musician and actress for 20 Years... native Oregonian... lover of music, beauty, and all things green. Willing slave to the venerable muse. Minnette currently resides in Portland, Oregon with her husband, having replaced the children with one dog. The dog, Pierre, pretty much runs the show.

25 comments:

Leanne109 said...

WOW! I am seriously fanning myself here! You are such an awesome writer! I strive to write as well a you. I cannot wait to read thi book Minnette! HUGS

Leanne

Minnette Meador said...

You are too sweet! :o)

Good morning everyone! I have to go into work early today and probably won't be able to get back here until after, but I wanted to let everyone know how wonderful you all are! Talk to you soon! Minnette :o)

Kiru Taye said...

This is a sizzling excerpt, Minnette. I look forward to reading this book.

Cheers,
Kiru

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Anything that has a smidgen of romance picwues my antena. Continued blessings

Vanetta Q said...

This is one book you don't want to miss... :)

shadow_kohler said...

whew! what an excerpt! hot! :) this sounds awesome! i cant wait to read this. i agree with leanne. you are an awesome writer!! hope your having a wonderful day! :)
shadowluvs2read(at)aol(dot)com

Toni said...

Minnette let me just just say you know how to pick them. Great exerpt!!

P.S. It's almost funny some of the words the word verifier comes up with...endybrow. Sometimes they almost make words.

Christiana said...

Again, Minnette you really know how to wake a girl up. That was definitely amazing.

~Christiana~

A. F. Stewart said...

A heat-inducing excerpt, and a great read.

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Minnette.

Bama said...

afternoon! :) great excerpt! :)

brigitte said...

hi minnette thanks for inviting me to your blog hop.. this is the first time i caould make it. but i am stopping by.. that was hot and i cant wait to read more.. brigitte

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Kiru - I hoe you like it.
Thanks, Vanessa!

Hi, Vanetta!

You are so sweet, Shadow!

LOL, Toni - I've seen some dillies myself!

~grin~ Christiana - I love writing these "teaser" scenes!

Thanks, AF!

Thanks, Jane!

Thanks, Bama!

Hi, Brigette! I'm so glad you could come over. I hope you can visit again. :o)

Christiana said...

Your teaser scenes need to come with a heat warning! :)

~Christiana~

Na said...

Hi Minnette!
I really like how Phaedra can hold her own against Thane in this scene. She is curious and craves this knowledge, but she is not one to swoon and fall for Thane too easily. I think for a man like Thane who is used to getting women, this is refreshing and part of why he is so intrigued by her. This was a wondeful excerpt and a great start to another fun about ancient Rome and your book.

Minnette Meador said...

LOL, Christiana - There are other heated scenes through the book, but I think this is the only one I shared... The others are a bit more... warm, if you know what I mean. :o)

Thanks, Na- Phaedra is full of surprises for Thane and the reader. I'm really glad you took that from the scene. M:o)

Nichole said...

Sounds amazing!! I wish I could have even an ounce of your creativity!! :) Can't wait to read the whole thing!

And I love your names, so original and they fit to a T.

NB

Minnette Meador said...

Whoohoo!!! Gladiator Prince is now out on Amazon Kindle AND B&N Nook!!!! ~butt dancing~

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-gladiator-prince-historical-romance-centurion-series-minnette-meador/1033891034

http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Prince-Centurion-Three-ebook/dp/B005O1AITI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316483997&sr=1-1

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Nicole! I love naming characters. It take me a long time and I usually change them in mid story. Phaedra started out as Ninanna. Actually, some of the ladies here helped me name this character! Thane has always been my heroes name and I absolutely love it.

Sheila Deeth said...

Oh wow! You know how to make your readers want to read more.

Sarah Raplee said...

Wow! Congratulations on the release of this unique and awesome, sexy book!

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Sheila! It gets much hotter... LOL :o)

Hi, Sarah! Thanks... I'm so happy to see you here! M:o)

marybelle said...

Adult content indeed!! I'm loving this.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Minnette Meador said...

Hi, Marybelle!

Thanks to everyone who came over yesterday! And without further ado, the winner of the adorable key chain is...

Nicole B!

Drop me a line with your name and address to: mmeador at minnettemeador dot com and I'll get it sent to you.

See you all at day 2 of the LASR blitz! Minnette :o)

Chelsea Rafferty said...

Wow this was a totally awesome scene rofl :P I'm with Leanne... totally fanning myself over here! I love love books that sweep me in right away and give me goosebumps and this one definitely qualifies.. there's just something about a sexy gladiator... hmm and of course the innocence of the girl is also fun too :P You rock as always hon :) I've been so busy with school but I'm going to try and make all your other stops.. especially if they have excerpts all like that LOL! Yum!