Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday Spotlight: D. L. Mains

NASCAR


We’re big NASCAR fans in our house, and we spent a week at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July. We rented a motor home and ‘RVed’ with all the other pseudo rednecks in a four day tail-gate party.

A few weeks prior to this vacation, my husband heard of a cook book that the wife of one of the drivers wrote, compiling a whole bunch of recipes from other drivers. Apparently, she went around the pits, collecting everyone’s favorite track recipes.

Now, my husband has to have this book. My alarm bells went off immediately because I know how much work this involves for me. But my husband insists that he will do all the cooking and experimenting. I have been married to this man for almost 23 years and I know that is not how it works.

He found the book and ordered it through Barnes and Noble to be shipped to our local branch, which conveniently (for him) is located right near where I work. Naturally, I have to go pick up said book and pay for it, not that it was expensive (under $5.00 and less because I’m a member), but already it involves work for me and we haven’t even opened the cover yet.

Now I don’t love to cook, but I don’t hate it either, so I perused the book and found some really interesting recipes. We know we have to try some before we go camping to judge how easy they are and how much prep time they actually require – those times listed on most recipes are never accurate. So we tried some…by this I mean I made them and everyone else judged their acceptability…did I mention the work involved for me?

I admit that the recipes worked out well and most are delicious…the grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp is to die for. And my husband was completely enamored of this book even though he had not made a single thing from it.

There we were camping with the rest of the race fans and my husband could not seem to contain his enthusiasm over this book of recipes. He told everyone we ran into (and there are 93,000 seats at this track…use your imagination) and even passed it around for others to admire. I could barely suppress my irritation, wanting to remind him that his wife has two books published herself.

I looked at my oldest daughter, who rolled her eyes. If he spent half as much time promoting my books so vehemently, I’d be a best-seller.

Ever have one of these?

No comments: