Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Spotlight: Marcia James

Celebrate Your Pets Today

This is my last guest-blog this week on Long & Short Reviews, and I'd like to wrap-up my pro-animal posts with a call to celebrate your four-legged friends. If you have birds, snakes, fish, etc, they count, too! Pets bring so much joy into our lives that there are holidays throughout the year just for them. From National Dress Up Your Pet Day (1/14/11) to National Mutt Day (12/2/11), there's a year's worth of special dates for our furry, feathered, and finned friends.

Some of the holidays are pretty silly — such as If Pets Had Thumbs Day (3/3/11), Hairball Awareness Day (4/30/11), and Dogs in Politics Day (9/23/11). Others are very important — such as Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month (April), National Homeless Animal Day (8/20/11), and National Feral Cat Day (10/16/11).

My favorite animal holidays are those that encourage people to save abandoned dogs and cats. For example, June is Adopt-A-Shelter-Cat Month and October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. In addition to the pets who find themselves in shelters thanks to owner indifference or death, there are now an amazing number of pets being given to shelters because their owners are losing their jobs and/or houses in this economy. The Humane Society, breed rescue groups, organizations like Best Friends Animal Society, and others are trying to save and place as many homeless pets as possible, but it's an uphill battle.

We can all help reduce the unwanted pet population by spaying or neutering our cats and dogs. I couldn't resist posting the cute photo of the dog who's a little reluctant to go through with the neutering procedure. But this is a serious topic. The Humane Society has declared February to be National Prevent a Litter Month and holds a Spay Day (2/22/11) to get out this vital message. [For a full list of animal holidays, check Chase's Calendar of Events.]

Smokey, my author logo and the Chinese crested hairless drug-sniffing dog from my first book, At Her Command, was an adopted shelter dog. And, if I were to give him a point-of-view, he would mention that many of the animals who act in television and film came from shelters. For example, Morris (aka Lucky), the "spokescat" for 9 Lives cat food — and his stunt doubles — were all shelter cats.

Here’s Smokey’s Top Ten list of canine actors — all of whom were rescued from animal shelters:

1. Benji (aka Higgins), the Poodle, schnauzer, cocker spaniel mix star of the Benji movies

2. Old Yeller (aka Spike), the mixed breed whose breakthrough role was the lead in the movie Old Yeller

3. Sandy, the Airedale-Collie mix from Little Orphan Annie

4. Fang, the drooling Neapolitan Mastiff from the Harry Potter movies

5. Bruiser (aka Chico), the Chihuahua and Rufus (aka Chloe) the Bulldog, who starred in Broadway’s Legally Blonde

6. Kelly, Chip, Topsy, Stella, Zelda, and Bo, the six mixed breeds who played Max in How the Grinch Stole Christmas

7. Lucky, the mixed breed from the Dr. Dolittle movies

8. Happy, the terrier mix on the TV show, 7th Heaven

9. Papi, the tiny star of Beverly Hills Chihuahua

10. Most of the canine cast of the movie, Hotel For Dogs

Here's a link to a funny YouTube video of an inventive shelter dog:

I’d love to hear your favorite pet stories – rescued shelter animals, remembered childhood pets, funny animal anecdotes, etc. In addition to LASR's weekly prize, I'm giving away five copies of my At Her Command e-book this week (one a day) to a reader chosen randomly from each day's comments.

Thank you, Long & Short Reviews, for this opportunity to guest-blog for five days on favorite topic: dogs and cats!

Happy reading!
— Marcia James

For a chance to win this weekly prize, answer the question you find here. For an extra chance, leave a comment.


SiNn said...

im first a few yrs ago i helped rescue a dog from a lake well apack of puppies someoen dumped in the lake that needed a home he helped me pull mys elf out of this dark cloud which for real was awesome he did a wonderful sjob we kept him for awhile then gave him to a family that could really let him grow and run i lived in the city they lived in teh country safer and well he was a huge dog at 4 months old he was twice the size of the lap dogs i was used to but he was a wonderful addition for teh short time we had him

Marcia James said...

Hi, SiNn! It's so wonderful that you were part of an animal rescue. I can't believe someone would throw away puppies like that. I think there is a special place in hell for people who hurt animals.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

-- Marcia ;-)

Tabitha said...

Hey Marcia!

I must say I love all the little videos and such that you put out in your newsletter.

My current pets are cats which I am not fond of but I'm surviving. I can say that my mother has gotten her last two dogs from the pound. Both white with long hair (as if she didn't learn from the first one LoL) Both, great dogs.

I think though that if we get a dog, it will be a guide dog for Marie but that will be later down the road.

Have a great weekend!

Tabitha Gibson
Romance to captivate your heart....

Jane said...

Hi Marcia,
I had no idea there were that many animal holidays. I've heard of the adopt a cat/dog ones, but not the others. Thanks for hanging out with us this week.

Marcia James said...

Hi, Tabitha! Thanks for stopping by! I bet you'll find a wonderful, gentle dog for Marie. Maybe a black lab to match her dark curls. ;-)

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
-- Marcia ;-)

Marcia James said...

Hi, Jane! I've had a great time at LASR! And the ads and banners LASR made for my latest release were wonderful. This has been a very happy experience, and I'm sure I'll be dropping by this site often.

-- Marcia ;-)

Stacy P said...

I also didn't realize there were so many pet holidays. While I didn't rescue my baby from a shelter, I did rescue him from a breeder that was unable to sell him. For some reason no one wanted him and it sounded like the breeder was going to send him to a shelter.

I am all for people adopted down-on-their-luck pets. I often peruse the shelters for animals that may fit into our family. With my family's allergic needs we have to watch what type of dog we bring into the house, but that doesn't stop me from looking. Someday I am hoping to add to our pet family and that will be my first stop.

I also made note of the holidays as I think they are just as important as the main holidays everyone knows about.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Marcia James said...

Hi, Stacy! It sounds like your pet found a very loving home with you.

I think it would be great to celebrate shelter animal holidays. We could give presents to the shelter -- things they need for the pets. ;-)

-- Marcia ;-)

Marcia James said...

And the winner of my Friday guest-blog e-book is Stacy P.! Yay!

Stacy, please email me at, and I'll send you my At Her Command e-book.

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
-- Marcia ;-)

Marcia James said...

Hi! As soon as LASR picks a winner for my dog-themed goody bag, I'll post the winner's name here.

Thanks to everyone who visited my guest-blogs this week!
-- Marcia ;-)