Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wedneday Spotlight: Marcia James




Authors and Readers Support Animal Causes


The romance community often pulls together to support important causes, such as Brenda Novak's annual online auction for juvenile diabetes research. When one of us is in need, authors, readers, editors, agents, and other publishing insiders donate goods and services to raise vital funds. And a cause near-and-dear to many of our hearts is animal aid and adoption.

The first online workshop I ever taught raised funds for Best Friends Animal Society (http://www.bestfriends.org/), the no-kill animal sanctuary in Utah that is known for taking in Michael Vicks' "unadoptable" fighting dogs (the basis of the television show, Dogtown). Over twenty other authors donated "lectures" to my workshop, and we presented Best Friends with a check for almost $2,000.

I was pleased to be asked to participate in Lori Foster's benefit anthology, Tails of Love (Berkley). 100% of the ten contributing authors' advances and royalties were donated to the Animal Adoption Foundation, a no-kill shelter in Ohio. In addition to supporting a great organization, I had the opportunity to write a funny short story featuring my signature character: a Chinese crested hairless dog. If you like matchmaking animals, then you'll enjoy Tails of Love. Each of the ten stories in this anthology has a animal that brings the hero and heroine together. Not all of them are dogs or cats. There's also a pygmy goat and a monkey. Circle of Seven Productions created an adorable book trailer for Tails of Love. Click on this link http://www.marciajames.net/books.html and scroll down to video.

Another group of authors contributed to a humorous dog anthology, I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in this Relationship (edited by Wade Rouse), which will be released by NAL on September 6th. A portion of the proceeds from this book goes to the Humane Society and other local/national animal shelters and causes. For more about the book and authors, click on this link: http://waderouse.com/content/other_projects.asp?id=Upcoming%20Memoirs

Another way I've found to support animal causes is through the eBay-like charity auction site, Bidding For Good (http://www.biddingforgood.com/) You can browse the online fundraisers by event (looking for animal charities) and state (if you prefer to bid on local services and prizes). It's addicting for a shopaholic like me, but I've gotten some great deals while supporting very deserving non-profit organizations.

Animals thank us for our love and support every day. For an interesting look at how some therapy dogs are giving back to humans -- by listening to children read -- here's a link to a video about Tail Waggin' Tutors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SDDbkz4PvQ As my fellow Tails of Love authors are fond of saying, "Go pets!"

What are some of your favorite animal-themed charities? Do you like to attend fundraisers for the Humane Society or donate gift baskets to silent auctions for your local animal shelter?

In addition to LASR's weekly prize, I'm giving away five copies of my At Her Command e-book this week (one a day) to a reader chosen randomly from each day's comments.

Happy reading!
-- Marcia James
www.MarciaJames.net

For a chance to win this weekly prize, answer the question you find here. For an extra chance, leave a comment.

6 comments:

Marcia James said...

The winner who commented on my Tuesday guest-blog and won that day's e-book is Jane. I'm giving away an e-book a day all week, so I hope we'll keep getting comments!

Hasppy reading!
-- Marcia ;-)

Jane said...

Hi Marcia,
I only know of The North Shore Animal League and the ASPCA. I've never attended a fundraiser. My cousin did volunteer at a shelter.

Marcia James said...

Hi, Jane! I enjoy making gift baskets to donate to my local Humane Society's fundraisers. Of course, I also attend the fundraisers and bid on other gift baskets. It's the shopaholic in me. ;-) Nice to combine shopping and doing good for an animal cause.

Thanks for stopping by!
-- Marcia ;-)

Marcia James said...

Jane -- You're the winner of my free e-book for today, which makes you a repeat winner. ;-) I'll contact you privately to see if you'd like a copy of my latest release!

-- Marcia ;-)

SiNn said...

honestly i have to say ir eall dont know what my fav charity for this is i donate to local shelters tho

Marcia James said...

Hi, SiNn! Thanks for stopping by! That is very nice of you to support your local shelters. The way the economy is, shelters need help more than ever.

-- Marcia