Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Maggie Jaimeson

The Story Behind EXPENDABLE

I believe all authors insert something of their own life experiences into their novels. In the case of romance, our heroes and heroines are sharing their most hidden wounds and most intimate thoughts with the reader. For me, my stories are a conglomeration of many incidents over time, frequently combined with current events. I call it “mashup” story development.

The original idea for EXPENDABLE actually came from an unresolved incident in my own life. Because of cervical cancer early in my life I was never able to have children. Several decades ago someone very close to me offered for me to take her unborn child. She was not married, poor, and could not support a baby. Unknown to her, I was getting divorced and I didn’t feel able to take the baby. Fortunately, she decided to keep the baby and I have had the privilege of watching him grow up and become a wonderful young man.

When I remarried, I had the great fortune to inherit two amazing step-sons. When I began writing this book, the oldest was returning to Iraq for his second tour. After hearing only a few stories about his first tour, I was scared to death he would come home with PTSD. That is why the hero of my story has PTSD. Again, fortunately, our son came home without injury (physical or mental) and is now in law school.

While our son was in Iraq, there was a lot of news about stem cell research and whether it was ethical to use cells from aborted fetuses to do the research. That was the final piece that tied together my story. Now I had a heroine with an impossible choice from her pregnant sister, a former-Marine hero with PTSD, a murder, a child with no identity, and biogenetic experiments. A “mashup” made for romantic suspense.

By day Maggie Jaimeson embraces the moniker "geek girl." As an IT administrator and teacher she works to keep a college ensconced in the 21st century with both state-of-the-art technology and a variety of distance learning initiatives. At night she spends time in a world of romantic suspense and romantic women's fiction, putting her characters through tortuous self-revelation, giving villains their comeuppance, and ensuring happily ever afters. She and her husband live in the Pacific Northwest and still enjoy exploring the natural beauty God has provided.

Facebook fan page:


Minnette Meador said...

Fabulous spotlight, Maggie!!!! I can't wait to read this book... :o)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thanks, Minnette. It's getting great reviews so far. I'm hoping a lot of people are choosing to buy it and read it.