Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: PG Forte

Food Snobs Anonymous


Among the Nine Naughty Novelists I’m known as the wine snob. Oh, but they don’t know the half of it! Really, it’s not just the wine. I’m picky about a lot of the thing. Let’s take a look:

#1. Well, since it's already been mentioned, I might as well start with wine. My primary issue here has more to do with provenance and delivery than it does the actual product. If it comes from a California winery, I'm predisposed to like it. But, sorry I don't do boxed wine. Some people prefer watching movies on a big screen. Some people prefer reading books in print. Me, I expect my wine to come in a bottle and be sealed with a cork. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

#2. California Produce. What can I say? When you live in California, there's really no excuse for not eating locally. When it comes to produce--fresh and dried fruit, nuts, veggies, and all the rest--California produce really can't be beat. It's a statistical fact. We lead the world in agriculture. We produce more crops and more kinds of crops than anywhere else. But, don't just take my word for it: HTTP://WWW.CDFA.CA.GOV/STATISTICS/

#3. Chocolate. Okay, it's true we don't grow chocolate in California. Or coffee either, hmm. I guess nowhere is completely perfect, after all. Still we've got Ghirardelli's and Scharfenberger and, my absolute favorite, Chocolatier Blue, which has some of the prettiest damn candies you're ever going to see, IMO. And they're as delicious as they are pretty, too: HTTP://WWW.CHOCOLATIERBLUE.COM/

#4. Coffee. To be honest, I used to be even more snobby about my coffee than I am now. In my early twenties, I insisted on buying freshly roasted beans and grinding them myself. I favored Kenya for taste, Kona for smell, and Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee above anything else--but only if it was freshly roasted and freshly breweed. Like, say, in Jamaica.

Nowadays, I'm much less fussy. Sure, I'd prefer to buy organic, fair-trade and shade-grown coffee... I did mention the whole "Living in California" thing--right? But, in practice, as long as it's decently (and relatively recently) dark-roasted and it doesn't come from a can, I'm good.

#5. Beer. Need I say it? Bottles. End of discussion. Also, the darker the better--Guinness, anyone?--and microbreweries are proof that God loves us...I think Benjamin Franklin said that.

I'm sure there's much more that I'm fussy about--including cheese, olives, olive oil, balsamic vinegar...the list is endless. But it's mostly tongue in cheek. Sort of. And when I was writing the Oberon series I had a lot of fun sharing my fussy opinions with several of my characters. Adam's a wine snob, Lauren's a chocolate snob and Lucy...well, she's pretty much picky about everything. I really love that woman!

Here's a little bit about Lucy (and her husband, Dan) taken from the blurb of "their" book, A Taste of Honey.

FOR LUCY GRECO CAVANAUGH, LIFE IS A DREAM COME TRUE. SHE HAS IT ALL. THE PERFECT FAMILY. THE PERFECT HUSBAND. THE PERFECT MARRIAGE. WHAT MORE COULD SHE WISH FOR? OTHER THAN THE CHANCE TO DO IT ALL AGAIN. TO EXPERIENCE ONCE MORE THE AGONY AND ECSTASY OF FALLING IN LOVE WITH THE MAN OF HER DREAMS. TO RECAPTURE THE JOY AND UNCERTAINTY THAT COMES WITH STARTING OVER.

AS FAR AS DAN CAVANAUGH IS CONCERNED, HIS LIFE HAS BECOME A NIGHTMARE. HIS STORYBOOK MARRIAGE IS ON THE LINE WHEN DEIRDRE SHELTON-COOPER, THE RUNAWAY DAUGHTER OF A FORMER GIRLFRIEND ARRIVES IN OBERON INTENT ON PROVING DAN IS HER FATHER. EVEN THOUGH HE'S CONVINCED THE GIRL'S CLAIMS ARE FALSE, DAN DECIDES HIS ONLY CHANCE TO KEEP FROM LOSING EVERYTHING LIES IN KEEPING HER VERY EXISTENCE A SECRET FROM HIS WIFE AND FAMILY.

BUT, SOMETIMES, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW CAN HURT YOU--AND THOSE YOU LOVE. WHEN DEIRDRE, MASQUERADING AS A SURFER GIRL NAMED MONICA, ACCIDENTALLY HOOKS UP WITH THEIR SON, SETH, LUCY AND DAN ARE LEFT TO WONDER: HAS THEIR PERFECT, FAIRY-TALE ROMANCE, TURNED INTO A CLASSIC GREEK TRAGEDY?

Sometimes you get exactly what you wish for. And it's more than you'd ever dreamed.

*****

Originally a Jersey Girl, PG Forte currently resides on the extreme left coast with her husband and soulmate, their two adult children and a random and fluctuating assortment of animal companions. At present, the nine-part Oberon series makes up half of her published works.

There's something magical about the little coast town of Oberon, California—something that transcends explanation and defies description. But living in 'Psychic Central' is not all white light and fairy dust. Anything could happen here and all too often it does. It's a place filled with mystery, intrigue, mysticism and romance and while the location is fictional, the people populating it can seem all-too real.

You can read more about the Oberon series at www.OberonCalifornia.us. Also, this summer, you can find the Oberon books on sale at Amazon.

4 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Well, ahem, we here in Colorado are fond of our peaches, cantaloupe, and sweet corn, to say nothing of lamb, beef, potatoes, kale, etc., etc. Eating locally is a great idea. Here in the Rockies, California produce is the import. And did I mention we're the microbrew capital of the nation?

PG Forte said...

Microbrew capital? Really? Hmm..I'm going to have to plan a trip to Colorado soon.

Kim B said...

I love Lucy! LOL!

daydrmzzz said...

Kim, I'm not sure who my favorite is yet but Lucy is a great character I agree.
You know PG I live in wine country :)