Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Ruth J. Hartman

Better Fill the Feeder

Right now, I’m watching two hummingbirds fight over the sugar-water in their feeder. The thing is, it’s empty. It’s on my list of things to do today, but I haven’t gotten around to yet. Nevertheless, they flit, fight, twitter and chirp. It’s amazing how territorial these tiny birds can be. And how much they can eat! I read once where a single hummingbird can eat more than his body weight in one hour, depending on the sugar content of the food. Yikes! I don’t even want to think about what I’d look like if I did that.

Sometimes, though, writers need energy. Nourishment. The food that comes from taking a break from their own writing and recharging. Read a book. Take a walk. Attend a writer’s conference. I recently attended the Lori Foster Readers and Writers’ Event in West Chester, Ohio. It was amazing! Not only did I learn valuable information, I met fellow writers who I’d previously only e-mailed, and even had an appointment with a very nice agent. All of this helped me to get back on my writing track. Showed me what was important in my writing and what wasn’t.

My favorite part of the conference was sitting in my publisher’s hotel room with several other writers, just talking about the writing industry in general. E-mailing back and forth is great, but sitting there, listening to others’ ideas, their laughter, watching their facial expressions as they described something that happened to them, was priceless.

If you feel like you’re running on empty in your writing life, better fill the feeder.


Sandra Cox said...

Great blog and picture, Ruth.

Ruth J. Hartman said...

Thanks, Sandra :)