Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: PG Forte

Serenading the Muse


Let’s discuss muses. Mine has the attention span of a gnat. Luckily, she likes music. Even more luckily, I figured that out early on. While I was writing the Oberon series, there were always go-to songs I could count on to lull my muse into compliance. They were an eclectic mix—old and new, borrowed (mostly from my kids) and yes, even blue—because, let’s face it, there’s a certain amount of angst in every love story.

Here’s a Thursday Thirteen list of some of the songs (or albums) I listened to while writing Oberon. I think of it as music to write to but, who knows, they might be music to read by as well.

#1 David Arkenstone, The Celtic Book of Days. Oberon is famous for its festivals, and this album always seemed to have the right music for them.

#2 Lonestar, Lonely Grill. So many of these songs seemed so right for Scout and Nick, that made it a natural for Scent of the Roses.

#3. The Cranberries, Everybody Else is doing it, so why can’t we? When I think Marsha, I think Irish. When I think Irish, I think Cranberries. It’s really as simple as that.

#4. Sarah McLachlan, Song for a Winter’s Night. Another song that seemed to have Marsha’s name on it.

#5. Sting, Brand New Day. I don’t know, something about the first couple of songs makes me think of rain. Rain makes my think Sound of a Voice That is Still. It’s moody and wintery sounding. Perfect, really.

#6. O-Town, All or Nothing. I don’t know why this song always made me think of Ryan, but it did.

#7. Sara Evans, Born to Fly. This album reminds me of summer fairs and that reminds me of book number five, Touch of a Vanished Hand.

#8. Deana Carter, Carol of the Bells. The Spirit of the Place was set at Christmas. Nuff said.

#9. Mana’o Company, Drop Baby Drop/Who Loves You Pretty Baby. Yes, it’s Hawaiian. And, yes, that goes with Book Number Six as well.

#10. Golana, Moon of the First Snow. Native American flute music, because Visions Before Midnight is all about the Chay and Chay is all about Native American flutes.

#11. Sheryl Crow, Tuesday Night Music Club. I Shall Believe was one of the songs that really seemed to sum up Cara’s vulnerability and the trust she placed in Liam

#12. Sister Hazel, Chasing Daylight. I could never decide whether Sword and Shield reminded me more of Liam or Seth. It was a good song for both of them.

#13. Dashboard Confessional, A Mark A Mission A Brand A Scar. Okay, the album title is awful, but Hands Down was another of Seth’s anthems. The boy had quite a few, now that I’m thinking about it.

*****

Originally a Jersey Girl, PG Forte currently resides on the extreme left coast with her husband and soulmate, their two adult children and a random and fluctuating assortment of animal companions. At present, the nine-part Oberon series makes up half of her published works.

There's something magical about the little coast town of Oberon, California—something that transcends explanation and defies description. But living in 'Psychic Central' is not all white light and fairy dust. Anything could happen here and all too often it does. It's a place filled with mystery, intrigue, mysticism and romance and while the location is fictional, the people populating it can seem all-too real.

You can read more about the Oberon series at www.OberonCalifornia.us. Also, this summer, you can find the Oberon books on sale at Amazon.

1 comment:

daydrmzzz said...

I'm on the second book in the Oberon series and LOVING it!!! Great love story with lots and lots of twists and turns that only PG Forte could pull off. Love her writing style.