Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: Sandra Cox

Mochas and Good Boots

Jolene Sayer, the heroine of Moon Watchers, has pouty lips and a sultry body. Getting a job as a swimsuit or underwear model would be a snap, if Jolene had any interest in such things. But makeup and clothes bore Jolene silly. Her working gear is worn jeans and flannel shirts or old sweaters. Her girlie girl cousin Zoe Tempest is constantly bemoaning Jolene’s lack of style. But Jolene has more important matters on her mind: fighting werewolves. It’s a family affair. Even her girlie cousin Zoe is a vampire fighter. But even tough-minded Jolene has her weakness...mochas and good boots. She can’t pass a coffee shop without ordering a mocha and she has nineteen pair of boots, all serviceable of course. But maybe it would be better to let Jolene tell you about herself in her own words. Here’s an excerpt:

I have two weaknesses. Even if I’m not fashion conscious I love boots. I’ve got nineteen pair.

My other weakness…mochas. Hot in the winter, iced in the summer. But where I’ll get a decent one in Moon Watchers, the little town nearby, is the million dollar question.

I trotted into the bedroom, rummaged in the closet and pulled out my suede boots. The bed dipped as I sat on the edge and pulled them on. The shoe itself is lined with lamb’s wool. The leg portion molds to my jeans, to keep the snow out, and stops just short of my knees.

I put a small ladies derringer, a switch blade, and my credit card into a black leather shoulder bag and reached for my leather coat. Then sighed and put it back in favor of my hooded, down-filled parka.

Okay, I have three weaknesses. I love my long black leather coat. Makes me look like a real bad-ass Were fighter, not to mention it hides my weapons.

I reached for my keys on the nightstand, pulled out my gloves that fit like a second skin then headed for the door. Wolfie watched me quivering.

As soon as he realized I was heading outside, he nearly knocked me over in his haste to get through the door. He took a leap off the stoop and landed in snow up to his chest. I stared in misgiving. Wolfie is the size of a small horse. The snow must be deep.

I took a deep breath. “All I’ve got to do is make it to the H1.” Housed inside the detached garage was one bad boy Hummer. A rich grateful client had given it to Dad. My father’s timely intervention kept the man upright and vertical instead of howling when the moon turned full.

Thank the gods for credit cards or the Beast, as I called the Hummer, would be sitting unused in the garage. To keep this baby’s double-tank filled with diesel isn’t for the fainthearted.

I planted one foot in front of the other and twisting from side to side as I plowed my way through the thigh-high snow. By the time I reached the garage, I was panting and sweaty. Woofie waited for me at the garage door. His wagging tail made a miniature snow angel.

“Crap.” I stared at the garage’s entry pad and tried to remember the code. It came to me. “Duh.” I punched in h-u-n-t-e-r. “The cold has frozen my brain.”


“You don’t have to be so quick to agree.”

The garage door rolled open. I all but fell inside. Wolfie bound in then shook himself. Snow flew everywhere. I stomped my feet and brushed at my legs. Puddles formed around my boots.

I opened the car door and Wolfie leaped in. I hoisted myself onto the seat and turned the key. The Hummer roared to life. My breath fogged up the bullet proof windows. No Were would get in this baby. I felt safer than a newborn in its mother’s arms.

I put the Beast in reverse and backed out. It plowed through the drifts like a tank. I hit the road and put it in first. We were on our way.

The Hunter Series

I live in North Carolina with my husband, dog, cats and an occasional foster cat. During the day I work at the local community college as an admin assist and by night I writer. I’m a vegetarian and believe in the adage, ‘if it has a face don’t eat it’. I’m, also, an animal advocate. As far as my writing I’m a genre hopper. I’ve written nonfiction metaphysical, YA Crossover, paranormal romance, time travel and western romance. My blog sites are: and If you’re in the vicinity drop by and say ‘hey.’

1 comment:

Hywela Lyn said...

Great excerpt, Sandra. Jolene sounds like my type of girl - I prefer jeans and shirts to smart outfits, most of the time, although it is nice to dress up 'feminine' on the odd occasion!