Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy

My great-grandmother made a major impact on my life. One of the things that she did was quote old adages, those things like “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” but one that stuck with me has always been “Practice makes perfect.”

That seemed like a very tall order when I was a young child trying to draw a neat, perfect picture of some flowers or a pet. As I grew older, however, and tried my hand at other things that I learned that another of her sayings, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, again” went hand in hand with the first.

My first cakes fell flat, my biscuits burned, but since I tried again, I eventually got the knack of both.

The same applies to writing. I first decided to write a novel in the fifth grade and so I labored over my story, a historical romance that I called “Good-bye Dixie”. It owed a great deal of inspiration to Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind that I had just read and when I look at that blue ink spattered manuscript on lined notebook paper, I laugh.

But at the same time I see it as a start, a foundation for my writings. That first humble effort lay a foundation for me to continue, to practice until I made perfect. My novels may not be perfect but they’re published and I believe that my writing continues to improve because practice makes perfect.

No comments: