Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Kara Lynn Russell

Creating a Romance Series: The Making of Orchard Hill Romances
Hello! My name is Kara Lynn Russell and I wrote a series of short stories called Orchard Hill Romances. This week I have the pleasure of sharing with you how it all came about - from inspiration to printed pages.
As a reader I have followed a number of series. I love getting to know the characters and then coming back again and again to share in their lives. But let’s face it, when you see “book 1” on the cover of a book, you have to make a decision. Are you going to commit to buying and reading multiple volumes of this author’s work? We’re talking both time and money here - and both resources are often in short supply. Then there’s the possible psychological pain. Are you ready to put up with agonizing waits for the next installment?
I’ve waffled over whether to buy the first book in a new series enough times to know how it feels. I’m grateful to every reader who’s given my Orchard Hill stories a try.
As a writer, a series requires a big commitment. A writer commits many hours to working on a single project. Multiply that for each installment in a series. If a writer decides to commit to creating a series, she’d better be sure she’s going to love the characters and plots she’s working with enough to stick with them through writing, editing and even promoting.
Fortunately that was the case for me and Orchard Hill. I had so much fun working on the original nine stories that I added four free reads and a tenth story to the mix. And now I’m planning another set of stories set in Orchard Hill, Wisconsin.
But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me say a few words about the series first. Orchard Hill is a fictional town set in my home state of Wisconsin. The series starts with a contest between the town’s two biggest matchmakers....
Orchard Hill Residents – lock up your hearts!
Pansy Parker and Misty Green are rivals in romance.  Each believes she is the town’s best matchmaker.  Now they’re going to settle the question for once and for all.  They’re keeping track to see who can make the most matches in a year’s time.  Both Misty and Pansy are determined to be the winner.  No heart is safe in Orchard Hill – not even their own.
Please join me again tomorrow when I’ll talk about weaving common threads into the Orchard Hill stories. This week I’ll also include threads about stretching the story arc across a series, characters and life after Orchard Hill. For more information on Orchard Hill please visit my website:

No comments: