Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: Stephanie Burkhart

Bram Stoker, the Muse
By: Stephanie Burkhart

Inky shadows hide in the corners of the withered castle, allowing the vampire to freely prowl the night.

Ah, what visuals Stoker's classic inspires! Stoker is the grandfather of paranormal romance, but interestingly, he'd never been to Romania, which is part of the setting for his famous novel. In his day, Stoker was a well known writer and playwright. Stoker lived in England, but traveled often to the United States where he was invited to the White House twice by Presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.

Dracula, the novel, was published as a hardcover in 1897 by Archibald Constable and Co. Interestingly, it was titled "The Un-dead" up until the very last minute when the title was changed to Dracula. The novel was well received by the critics of the day. Stoker's influences for the novel included modeling the "well" mannered Count after his acting buddy, Henry Irving, Slains Castle in Aberdeenshire, and the crypts at St. Michan's Church in Dublin. He spent several years researching European folklore including reading Emily Gerard's 1885 essay "Transylvania Superstitions."

What do Stoker's Dracula and Burkhart's latest release, The Wolf's Torment have in common? Romania.

Romania is a land were superstitions carry a lot of weight. Gypsy witches still wander the land and being a witch is a profession in modern day Romania. You can find the castles that the real life Dracula, Vlad Dracul, built. If you look in the right place, you'll discover that Romania is a land where you might dare to believe the supernatural comes to life when the sun sets.

Stephanie Burkhart's latest release is The Wolf's Torment, a paranormal romance set in Romania in the 1860's with Desert Breeze Publishing. Stephanie is a 911 Operator for LAPD. Her release The Count's Lair received 5 Books from Long & Short Reviews.

Blurb: Mihai Sigmaringen, Crown Prince of Moldavia has a secret – he's a witch. But can he protect his wife from the werewolf who wants her for his own?

Buy Link:

Book Trailer link:

Find me on the Web at:






Sue Perkins said...

Shiver, shiver. Shivers up the back Steph when I read your Tuesday Spotlight. Remind me never to go to Romania.

StephB said...

Oh, Sue! You just might a tall, dark Romanian to fall in love with!


Redameter said...

I still think the best Dracula ever was Bella Lagosi. The thing is, I find nothing romantic about the man, or about vampires. I guess it takes certain kind of person to appreciate him and the ones we have now in romance reads. Who knew back then that this would take off and millions of books would be written about vampires.

The gypsies have always been a fascination though, and the things they believed in. I wonder where some of those ideas and stories originated. Like Frankenstien, it takes a certain kind of imagination. What would really be an interesting study, is what rumor or what idea started the vampire thing? Where did it come from, and why was it passed down so much through the gypsies?

Don't think I'd want to live in Romania, constantly hearing the superstitions and stories passed down by generations of people. Amazing.

I once knew an old Italian man who was told by the gypsies he would die at a certain age, he believed them. I felt sorry for him.

Nice blog and interesting.

Love and blessings

A.R. Norris said...

Great post! I didn't know that about the author.

StephB said...

I don't think anyone would have realized how Dracula "took" off. Bela Lagosi did a fabulous job with his Dracula, but i must admit to finding a modern appeal with Gary Oldman.

I definately agree that finding out the orgins behind the myths interest me. In my research I learned that vampire myths went as far back as ancient Egypt. Nomads probably carried the myths forward. Given the time, I'd like to research this further. :)

It's amazing how some let superstitions take a hold in their lives. Thanks so much for popping in!

I learned a lot. I want to research and learn more. Certainly I was surprised to learn that Stoker had met two US Presidents.


Liana at said...

I've heard it's really beautiful in Romania, too. Have you ever been there, Steph?

StephB said...

No, not to Romania. The closest I've been is Hungary. It's beautiful country though. Reminds me of upstate New York.


Barbara Edwards said...

Interesting about Stroker. goes to show, good research is vital. I think I'll look for that reference.

Maggie Toussaint said...

As far as titles go Dracula sounds a lot more intriguing than the Undead. I'm glad he changed the title!

Enjoyed reading the blog.


Naomi Musch said...

Nothing like a tall, dark, brooding Romanian, I guess! Enjoying your posts this week, Stephanie!