Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Diane Craver

“Introvert or Extrovert?”

One of my daughters mentioned being an introvert. I told her how I was too.

She said, "Mom, you are definitely not an introvert."

That bothered me because I have always thought of myself as one. I decided to pursue this: with another daughter. Same response. This daughter told me, "No way. You're not an introvert. You're so friendly and talk to everyone."

Both daughters had to be wrong. Hey, I am a shy person. Also I think an introvert fits being a writer more than an extrovert does. Introverts are more mysterious because you don't know what they are really thinking. So when my sister-in-law stopped in to visit after these conversations, I told her how I disagreed with my daughters telling me that I'm an extrovert.

Guess what? She laughed at me. In an amused voice, she said, "You're an extrovert."

Okay, that's true what all three said about me. I am pretty outgoing and I'm energized when I'm around others. While growing up, I was more of an introvert. I came out of my shell when I carhopped at a root beer stand during high school. But I am still quiet when I feel uncomfortable in certain situations. I might be reflective when I'm out of my element and exhibit an introvert's personality traits. My small talk with new people is definitely a bonus to my writing because people seem to open up and reveal a great deal to me. Of course, I don't use what they say for my characters, but it gives me ideas to incorporate in my stories.

This extrovert and introvert topic got me to thinking about my characters. Are they extroverts or introverts? In my book, Marrying Mallory, there's no doubt that Mallory Harrington is an extrovert. She has no problem meeting new people. Mallory surprises Dr. Seth Whitman with her honesty when they first meet. Catherine Steel is an investigative reporter in my chick-lit mystery, A Fiery Secret. She does her best thinking while speaking to murder suspects, which is a characteristic of an extrovert. Whitney Benson in my contemporary romance, Whitney in Charge, is an extrovert but she has some introverted feelings when it comes to men.

My favorite part of writing is creating the dialogue for my books. I just can't escape my desire to speak to others whether it's in a real life or for my characters.

Are you an introvert or extrovert? Do you prefer to read romances where the heroine is an extrovert or an introvert?

Please visit tomorrow to discuss saying good-bye to favorite characters.

Whitney in Charge is available as an ebook for Kindle, Nook, Sony Ereader, Kobo through various outlets.
Buy Link:

Book Trailer: (created by Goddess Fish Promotions)

Find me on the Web at:


katekindle said...

Good blog, Diane. Your smile tells me you're an extrovert. So take that!

Celia Yeary said...

Diane--I think the definition somehow becomes muddled. Because I'm not afraid to stand in front of a group and speak, or teach a Bible lesson to a group, or I approach visitors or strangers who look like someone should pay attention, people might say those things makes me an extrovert.
No, I am not, either. In fact, you and I may be much alike.
I call it confidence.
I know an extrovert, and real one, and I promise you, I am not one! Nor or you. You are poised and confident and can appear to be sure of yourself maybe when you're not.
My best friend of 35 years is an all out extrovert--flaming red hair, tall,wears unique outfits and shoes, and talks, and talks--and not softly, either. I adore her. Everyone wonders--how can you two be best friends? You are totally different.
See? Sometimes who you're compared to really defines you.
So there! Celia

Diane Craver said...

Hi Kate,
You're observant. Thanks for visiting - nice to see a comment already from a fellow author.

Btw, I loved your story, "Easter Promise" in the Spring/Easter Collection.

Have a terrific Memorial Day weekend!

Diane Craver said...

Hi Celia,
You made several great points about whether we are extroverts or introverts. Interesting comparison to your long-time friend - she definitely is an extrovert!

Thanks for taking the time to visit and to comment - know you are busy with all your new and wonderful releases.

Delia Latham said...

Wonderful post, Diane! I, too, see myself differently than others do. I'm extremely shy around people I don't know, or in situation where I feel less than completely comfortable. But when I'm comfortable and in a familiar environment, I'm...mostly...okay to speak up and take part in conversations. I think I still lean more toward "introvert" than "extrovert."

I like a variety of characters. It's fun to read a book with a fun, outgoing character (like Celia's friend). :) But then, I also enjoy characters with a quieter, more private persona. Variety - it's still the spice of life!


A.R. Norris said...

Great post!! I find it funny sometimes how others perceive us differently then we do ourselves.

I use to think it was because they just "didn't know" the true me...but the last few years I've realized maybe they are seeing a part of me I can't see for myself.

There's also the varying degrees. To my son, who's extremely shy, I'm a regular social butterfly. Yet to my friend who really is a social butterfly, I'm a hermit.

Diane Craver said...

It's funny how we see ourselves differently. By the way, my one daughter is very shy so to her I probably seem like an extrovert. LOL I agree it's fun to read about characters like Celia's friend. It's also nice to enjoy quieter and maybe shy characters.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Have a great evening!

Diane Craver said...

Hi A.R.,
Interesting what you said - I agree with you about the varying degrees. I have 5 daughters and one son - two are definitely extroverts and the others are introverts. I seem like an extrovert, I'm sure, to the shy ones. The two extroverts shock me sometimes with how they are not shy in any social gathering. Actually the one is so bold that her shy siblings are amazed all the time. Yes, they all have the same father. LOL I've been asked that several times.

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Sarah J. McNeal said...

There is actually a personality test that determines whether you are an introvert or extrovert. we all took it in psychology class. I fell right in the very middle. I take it from that test that most people are in the middle--extrovert sometimes and introvert at other times.
I like that your character was an extrovert, Diane. Extroverts make life so much easier. They guide us through society with conversation and put us all at ease. It's a compliment to be thought of as an extrovert.
I wish you all the best.

Diane Craver said...

Hi Sarah,
It's great seeing you here! I've enjoyed your posts at the RAMP's yahoo group and at chats!

That's very interesting how most people fall in the middle of being an extrovert and introvert type of personality. Middle is good.

Thanks, Sarah! Enjoy your evening!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Enjoyed the post, Diane!

I see myself differently than others do, too.

I'm really shy around people I don't know. I don't like to speak in front of a group and I absolutely hate being the center of attention. However, I'm comfortable with friends and a familiar situation.

My husband doesn't think I'm shy at all and always laughs when I say I am. lol Go figure.

I like a variety of characters. So I'm good with any personality.

Laurean Brooks said...


I consider myself an introvert, because I do a lot of deep thinking and the thought of speaking to a group terrifies me.

On the other hand, most would label me an extrovert since I hardly ever meet a stranger and am not afraid to approach people. Strangers even approach me in Walmart to ask my opinion on everything from beauty products to supplements.

The other day, my sister (who is a true introvert) and I had a girls' day out. We stopped to eat a lunch buffet.

When we found our table, Sis insisted we wait until the waitress came with our drinks before heading for the food bar to prevent someone else from taking our unattended table.

But I jerked my head toward the people eating across the aisle and said to Sis, "Why don't I ask those folks to watch our table and not let anyone get it?"

Sis said no. So wait we did. Thank goodness it was less than a minute before the waitress brought our glasses. I was starving.

As far as hero/heroine, I think the story is more intriguing when one is an extrovert, the other an introvert. You know: Opposites attract and sparks fly. LOL

Diane Craver said...

Hi Karen,
It seems like a lot of us are talkative around people we know, but are uncomfortable in many other types of situations. I sometimes, though, talk too much when everyone else is quiet. I want everyone to have a good time so I chatter a lot. LOL

I'm glad you shared about your personality. Thanks for stopping by, Karen!

Diane Craver said...

I enjoyed all your comments - thanks again for stopping by! It's been fun hearing if you think of yourself as an extrovert or an introvert or what your family thinks you are!

Diane Craver said...

Hi Laurie,
That's a cute story about you and your sister having lunch. I'm glad you didn't have to wait long to get your food. :)

I liked what you said about it being more intriguing in a romance if one is an introvert and the other an extrovert -opposites do attract. When that happens, the fun begins!

Hope you have an awesome holiday weekend and thanks for taking the time to visit.

Linda Swift said...

Diane, I'm late again. But I'm dancing as fast as I can! I think I am definitely an introvert. I am very open one on one but in groups I am very quiet. I can speak before a large crowd but not relate to them in mingling social event. And I am happier alone most of the time. I find I really need stretches of "alone" time. Maybe because I was an only child and this became a habit.

Diane Craver said...

I wasn't an only child like you, Linda, but there was such a big difference in the ages of my older sisters and brother. My mother gave birth to me at age 45. My siblings were 21,19,15, and 9 so I had a lot of mothers. They all bossed me around.

That's good you like your alone time so you can focus on your writing.

Thanks for commenting.

Have a great evening!