Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 6, 2011


Why did I start reviewing? It’s not something that I planned on doing. I absolutely love to read, and I frequently find myself telling my friends and family about the books I’m reading. When I learned that The Long and Short of It was looking for reviewers, I decided it sounded interesting. I applied to be a reviewer, and was quickly accepted. Two years later, I still love reviewing for The Long and Short of It.

One of the things that I like most about The Long and Short of It is the commitment to writing good reviews. Too often, I had come across websites that mistake rudeness and sarcasm for wit. I had no desire to review for any of these sites. For me, The Long and Short of It is different. I love the policy of providing positive, constructive criticism. Even when there is something about a book that I don’t particularly like, there is a right way to frame my criticism. I owe the author of the book that courtesy.

When I’m reading a book, I really love interesting, well rounded characters. I enjoy heroes and heroines who are likable, but have some flaws. I find that serves to make the characters more realistic and relatable. Villains are often overlooked in this area. More often than not, the villain in a story is simply evil. I’m usually okay with that if the heroine, hero, and/or plot are strong enough. However, when an author makes the effort to craft an interesting villain, that really puts a story over the top. I really enjoy it when the villain has some depth or surprises me at the end of the story.

I also love it when an author makes good use of descriptive language. The description doesn’t have to be verbose. A few well chosen words can pull me into the story so that I begin to forget the world around me.

Just as great characters make a great story, bad or flat characters can ruin it just as quickly. One of the things I find most irritating is a heroine that is just too perfect. She is gorgeous and always says and does the right thing at exactly the right time. There isn’t a woman in the world that can live up to that sort of standard. When I come across a character like that, I find it very difficult to get into a story. I also don’t like a hero that is too overbearing. There is nothing wrong with a hero with a strong protective hero, but sometimes the line between being protective and just plain domineering is thin.

My favorite book of all time is Beauty by Robin McKinley. I read it when I was a young girl and no other book has been able to take its place in my heart. It has everything, great characters, an interesting plot, and a fairy tale ending. I’ve read it so many times that I feel as though Beauty and I are old friends. I love disappearing into the pages of the book, and no matter how many times I read it, it never gets old.

No comments: