Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 2, 2011


In a fast paced crazy world, I have always been able to count on something to take my mind off the chaos, put it at ease, and relax. That salvation has been my love of reading books. I had a love of reading from a very young age. What made it more special is that only having sight in one eye, I was told, or more so, my parents were told that I would never do any of these 'normal' things that kids do. Truth be told, somehow, I manage to read faster than many fully sighted people I know. I even took my love of reading a step further and, in elementary school, started writing stories of my own and shared them with friends.

And now, many years later, I have never left behind my passion for reading. It still, to this day, is my wonderful escape. And as new genres explode onto the scene, there's now more than ever, so many choices to pick from. My favorite genre to read is romantic suspense. I love the intensity that the characters go through and they end up falling in love all the while. And while my reading tastes have fallen in love with romance, I read many other genres as well. In fact, my favorite book happens to be a mix of everything- medical, romance, Nothing Lasts Forever by Sidney Sheldon. A librarian recommended that book to me in my early teen years, and I have read and re-read that book so many times.

One of the best things now is that I get to be a reviewer. That's rewarding to me, because I get an opportunity to try so many books I may not have gotten a chance to otherwise. My horizons have broadened considerably since becoming a reviewer. I love to be able to share my thoughts on a book, and let others know “hey, check this book out!” And I've gotten responses from authors who are happy that a reader has totally understood their book. It makes my day to know that I have made someone smile, or have helped another reader find a great book to read.

I've only been with this wonderful review site for a few months, but I have enjoyed every moment. I mainly review books on the LASR side of things. I've come across some wonderful stories that have made me smile, tugged at my emotions, and have even shed a few tears. (Mainly happy ones. I have come up with a new line for me. I'm sappy for happy. I totally cry with happy endings) I've found myself reading into the wee hours of the morning, so intent on finishing the book.

I love stories that have plenty of suspense. I love the cross genre action going on, such as paranormal suspense. The great thing about paranormal is that it has so much room for creativity. Reading about mythical creatures of the unknown. I wish there were more books about mermaids and mermen. I love books about genies, faeries, and now I have come across a new love of the paranormal- shifters. I also love a good ghost story. And then there's the contemporary. I don't think I'll ever get enough of that. So many contemporary stories that have the characters go through so much emotional drama, and yet they come out ahead. And even though I love a happy ending, I will read books that may not have one.

In a world ever so changing, I can say with certainty that one thing won't change- the love and passion I have for books. My world revolves around them. I hope to pass on the love of reading to my child and show him the amazement and fun reading can give.



Laura said...

I'm so glad for you, that despite your issues with your sight, that you were still able to read. My sight is the worst sense I can imagine losing. If I couldn't read I think I would lose my mind. What a great story!

Cynnara Tregarth said...

My sight is the one thing I protect dearly. I'm legally blind in my left eye and luckily have great vision in the other. I can completely relate with you, Sunflower. I also love cross-genre stories as well! *grins* It's great getting to see another side to the reviewers here! Thanks so much for sharing a bit about yourself!