Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Spotlight: Diane Craver

“Saying Good-bye”

Saying good-bye to people has always been difficult for me. It doesn’t matter if it’s in my real life or the imaginary lives I create for my characters. I cried before walking into the gymnasium for my high school graduation ceremony. When I did my last day of student teaching, my eyes filled with tears. Later when I quit my teaching job to get married and to move to a new area, I hated saying good-bye to my many students. And of course, saying good-bye to my parents was heart-wrenching. When our adult children left for college, I cried and it didn’t become any easier when the fourth one left to go away to school.

My characters also take a deep hold of my emotions after spending a great deal of time with me. Even though I think of writing as a career, family takes first priority so I don’t always get to write daily. Because it takes longer for me to finish a book, my characters need to be part of my thought processes even longer. When I wrote the last page of my first inspirational romance, No Greater Loss, at three o’clock in the morning, I remember crying because I hated to say good-bye to Dr. Jennifer Hunter. Bits and pieces of her character were originally based on things that happened in my own life. I haven’t cried when saying good-bye to other characters, but can definitely see why authors like to write series. You become attached to your characters. I’m pleased when readers also fall in love with my heroes and heroines and want me to write future books with them in the story lines. For example, many readers liked the one male character in Whitney in Charge a lot. Whitney happens to have two romantic interests, and she chooses one by the end of the story. Readers think the rejected one needs to find his own true love in the future. I agree! I’d also love to write about Whitney’s two meddling sisters again.

Authors, do you feel a loss when you write the last sentence of your books?

Readers, do you like reading about your favorite characters again in future books?

Whitney in Charge is available as an ebook for Kindle, Nook, Sony Ereader, Kobo through various outlets.
Buy Link:

Book Trailer: (created by Goddess Fish Promotions)

Find me on the Web at:


StephB said...

I think it's always hard to say goodbye to characters. That's why you have sequels. LOL!! It's tough to say "goodbye" no doubt it.


Diane Craver said...

I agree, Steph! I'm hoping to have sequels to the new romance I'm writing. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks for visiting! Have a fantastic weekend! You're an awesome friend and writer!

Grace Greene Author said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Greene said...

It's hard to let them go. I think that's what I keep revising and editing - it's hard to cut them loose.

What's funny, too, is how when I think about them later, after they are out on their own, it's as if I'm remembering friends I haven't seen in a while.

I signed up on Blogger to leave a comment and I apologize that I don't seem to have the hang of it! I hope this works!


Diane Craver said...

Hi Grace,
You did great - I enjoyed reading your comment. I do the same thing and think about my characters much later as if they are real friends.

I visited your lovely website. I saw you're attending Lori Foster's Reader/Author event this June. I went last year and a couple other times, but I'm not this year. Sorry I'll miss you.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

P.I. Barrington said...

Diane, as an author I agree that you get attached to your characters; in fact its almost like being involved in their "lives". When that ends I feel almost lost because I'm not involved any more and I almost have to readjust for that loss. I do see my secondary characters as ones that I'd like to evolve into their own stories. As a reader, I never really thought about sequels until I started actually writing them. Characters like Merlin in Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave captivated me and I still haven't read the last book since I don't want it to have an "ending" even after 25+ years!

Diane Craver said...

Hi P.I.,
That's great you can see giving your secondary characters stories. It's a good way to cope after finishing a book. I'd like for some of my secondary characters to have their own stories.

You've waited a long time to read the last book of Mary Stewart's series. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda Swift said...

Diane, I totally agree about saying goodbye to our characters. If we really care about them, and we'd better or no one else will, it's hard to let go of our relationship with them. But I don't usually want to write a sequel. When I'm done, I'm done. but that doesn't mean I forget the characters. They are always with me. Linda

Diane Craver said...

Hi Linda,
I wanted to write a series for my Catherine Steel mystery but life was crazy and I couldn't commit to it at the time. Then I thought of writing a sequel to Whitney and also to Mallory but never happened. It is nice when people mention to me how much they liked the characters and wanted to read more about them.

That's such a great point you made about if we don't care about our characters, then we can't expect our readers to either.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by. You are so supportive plus an awesome writer!