Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday Spotlight: Robin Bayne

The Reading Experience: Do You Like it Long or Short?

My first novel was a time travel romance of about 80,000 words. The editor who bought it requested I add 20,000 more words to the story. What a challenge! But many readers want that 400 page, 100,000 word experience, and feel cheated by anything less. There does seem to be more opportunity to connect with characters in a longer story, more room for sub-plots and layers of plot.

And then there are readers who want to grab a quick, short story on the go. A novella may suit the bill, something to tuck in their purse or download for a read during the lunch hour. Many times I find novellas and short stories are perfect when I’m in the mood for a light read.

I personally enjoy all lengths at different times. I loved ready Cindy Green’s short story “Snow Kissed” for a break at work, and also loved spending hours upon hours with Diana Gabaldon’s "Outlander" series. I enjoy an inspirational category-length romance as much as I do re-reading Gone With The Wind.

So what are your preferences? Do you love the long novel with one or more sub-plots? Or do you find sub-plots distracting? Do you love the quick read that satisfies with minimal time investment, or do you find them lacking depth? Or like me, do you enjoy the long and the short of it?

I'm holding a drawing for several items and accepting entries on my Facebook author page through Easter. Enter by "liking' the page and commenting on your favorite holiday.
Robin Bayne is the award-winning author of six novels and four novellas, along with a variety of short stories. She has contributed to collections including God’s Way for Teens, God’s Way for Fathers and Cup of Comfort Devotionals; and published articles in Writer’s Journal and Christian Communicator. She has given workshops at regional and online romance writing conferences and the Writer’s Digest World’s Largest Writing Workshop. She lives in Maryland with her husband of twenty years. Robin recently compiled a book of devotionals for writers titled “Words to Write By.” Visit her at


LoRee Peery said...

Good post, Robin. Longer reads help us connect with characters, develop plot layers, and establish sub-plots.

Marianne Evans said...

Great spotlight, Robin! I'm like you, I enjoy reading and writing in all lengths -- and it really does depend on my mood and what I'm 'hungry' for at the time. :-) Blessings!

Robin Bayne said...

Thanks LoRee and Marianne : >