Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Robin Bayne

What I’ve Learned About Reading Fiction From Watching Golf

You may have noticed that the cover of my story Prodigal features a golf ball. That’s because one of the scenes takes place on a driving range and is based on a real life experience. Personally, I’ve given up trying to learn the game and let my husband go out to the course so I can have quiet reading or writing time.

But over many years of observing the game both in real life and on television, I’ve learned that reading is a far better hobby.

So in what ways is reading a superior hobby to golf?

--You don’t need to wear plaid pants or a collared shirt to read a book.
--Reading is a year-round sport, regardless of weather.
--You can buy many books for the cost of one typical round of golf.
--You can re-read a scene anytime, but in golf “mulligans” are frowned upon.
--No special equipment is needed to read, unless it’s reading glasses.
--You can’t play golf on the beach or in the tub.
--If you completed grade school, you won’t need special instructors to help you read.
--You can read all alone, without needing to call your buddies.

So send your spouse out to the driving range and curl up on your couch. Tell us, what books are in your TBR (to be read) pile? And have you ever tried golfing?

I'm holding a drawing for several items and accepting entries on my Facebook author page through Easter. Enter by "liking' the page and commenting on your favorite holiday.
Robin Bayne is the award-winning author of six novels and four novellas, along with a variety of short stories. She has contributed to collections including God’s Way for Teens, God’s Way for Fathers and Cup of Comfort Devotionals; and published articles in Writer’s Journal and Christian Communicator. She has given workshops at regional and online romance writing conferences and the Writer’s Digest World’s Largest Writing Workshop. She lives in Maryland with her husband of twenty years. Robin recently compiled a book of devotionals for writers titled “Words to Write By.” Visit her at


Cheryl said...

This is a great post. I don't have the patience for golf. I barely get through mini-golf with the kids.

Thanks for the chance to win.



LoRee Peery said...

Reading is a year-round sport, and all the other reasons listed.
I walked around the course with a boyfriend when I was in high school.
A few years ago my sister showed me how to hold the club and we played at a friend's country homestead. What a hoot! Especially when the balls went over the barn and into the corral.