Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Spotlight: Kathleen Ann Gallagher

Backyard Oasis
by Kathleen Ann Gallagher

I look forward to Springtime and spending time outdoors. Our garden is one of my favorite places to relax. My husband and I enjoy our afternoon in our Adirondack chairs with a cup of coffee, as we listen to the birds chirp. We have a fountain, three birdhouses, and several beautiful plants. It is fun anticipating the transformation as the summer approaches. Around the borders are pine trees, and in the center are winding trails bordered by a lovely mix of perennials. There’s also a separate area to barbeque, and a shaded area for dining. Each year we add something new, or change around the furniture to make it new and exciting.

Even if you don’t have a lot of space you can create your own private oasis. There are small area makeovers sure to fit your budget. You can find plenty of ideas in magazines, or on the internet. A sunny weekend would be the ideal time for a yard makeover. Madeline Young from Echoes at Dawn spends time in her garden to clear her mind. She reflects on her life and the changes she faces. We all have times in our lives when things change. It’s how we deal with it that counts. Sometimes change is a good thing.

My favorite flowers are Peonies.

Peonies are also extensively grown as ornamental plants for their very large, often scented flowers. Due to their colorful and attractive flowers, Peonies have gained a huge popularity these days and are also made available in artificial form which are used as indoor decoration.[14]

Peonies are a common subject in tattoos, often used along with koi-fish. The popular use of peonies in Japanese tattoo was inspired by the ukiyo-e artist Utagawa Kuniyoshi's illustrations of the Suikoden, a serialized novel from China. His paintings of warrior-heroes covered in pictorial tattoos included lions, tigers, dragons, koi fish, and peonies, among other symbols. The peony became a masculine motif, associated with a devil-may-care attitude and disregard for consequence.

Source: Wikipedia

Happy Gardening!

Kathleen Ann Gallagher
Echoes at Dawn available at Decadent Publishing


Maureen said...

It's my favorite time of year where everything starts growing and peonies are lovely.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Jean P said...

I always look forward to seeing the peonies, favorite flower to see blooming.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Joni said...

Peonies were also my Grandmother's favorite flower and I remember sitting in her beautiful yard and hoping that someday I could create such a warm and welcoming yard when I grew up and had my own house.


Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

It's my favorite time of year too, Maureen.

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

They are so lovely, Jean.

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

Peonies bring to mind happy memories, Joni. I hope you were able to create a garden of your own.

cheryl c said...

I love Peonies, too!
castings at mindspring dot com

Cathy M said...

Your garden sounds gorgeous, Kathleen, and I love peonies too.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

Thank you, Cathy. I love to spend an afternoon with my husband in our backyard oasis.