Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: F.L. Bicknell

What is a special private time for you?

One of mine is sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee as the sun crests the ridgeline. I love the sound of the birds, the way the country air smells as the dew sparkles on everything. A cup of coffee is always at my side, and I’ve even taken to filling a small thermos so I have fewer trips into the house for a refill.
However, this special private time comes to a standstill when the cold weather arrives, so it’s something I’m looking forward to once the weather in Ohio breaks. I’m very much over the cold, snow and ice!

During the winter months, though, I do enjoy sitting in the corner of the living room where I have an aquarium set up. Watching my goldfish—six of various types—swimming around with the cast of Spongebob Squarepants figurines in the bottom (only have plankton to collect and I’ll have them all! Yes, I love Spongebob, and watch it with my 6-yr old son) but I often discover I have to roll up my sleeve and set either Gary or Sandy back in an upright position. No matter how firmly the figurines are placed in the gravel, the goldfish tend to knock them over during feeding time.

As I watch the fish beg and blow bubbles on the surface, I sip my coffee and mull over plot and character details of works in progress or the next soon-to-be-written novel. There’s something very relaxing and inspiring about observing underwater life. And if you have a high stress level, I recommend having an aquarium. Watching the fish and hearing the sound of trickling water does wonders to relieve stress.

Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shaw has had a rough life. Chased out of town years ago by one of the community’s leaders, Lizzy has finally returned. However, living with her virtuous grandmother exercises Lizzy’s patience, especially when Lizzy’s mother, who was an aspiring actress, tarnished her reputation by changing boyfriends as frequently as her nail polish.

Regardless, Daniel Rivers, the love she left behind, wants Lizzy back. He demands to know why she left town and why she never replied to any of his letters. Lizzy can’t let Daniel know her secret, but she can’t resist his crooked smile and warm, brown eyes either. Sparks fly between the couple, but Lizzy is determined not to make the same mistake with Daniel. However, when Lizzy is kidnapped by one of her mother’s old boyfriends, it puts life in a different perspective for Lizzy and she realizes she must tell Daniel about his son.

Can Lizzy resist the lure of Daniel’s touch, the way her entire body responds to him every time he glances her way? Or will the truth about Daniel’s son tear them apart a second time?


Janice said...

I use to have fish and the sounds of the bubbles breaking the surface still relaxes me. But the water out here in my country home isn't good for fish, and we don't drink it either.


Faith said...

You could always have a small 5-gallon tank and buy water to fill it. I got Squidward's Easter Island head house today as well as Spongebob's pineapple, lmao. The kids love them.

Janice said...

I had thought about an aquarium with out any fish, but that seems rather pointless.

But . . . hubby has a fish aquarium screen saver on his computer. It even makes the bubbling sounds I like too. Lol, its the cheapest aquarium we've ever had, no maintenance and no fish dying either.

Faith said...

I used to have such a screen saver. I loved it!