Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: F.L. Bicknell

May of 2010, my family finally found a new place to rent. We were moved in by the end of May, and we’ve adjusted to our big farmhouse, loving every minute of it. My hubby purchased two large, beautiful birdfeeders and hung them from the upper railing of the front porch. This allows me to sit in the living room where there’s a picture window and watch them feed and fight at the feeders (say feed and fight at the feeders five times really fast, lol!), as I daydream about plots. My two youngest children enjoy watching the birds just like I did with my mother (see yesterday’s post if you missed it).

However, the outdoor cats are insane with the need to catch one of the birds—and fail miserably. It’s almost like watching the battles of Tom and Jerry! My indoor feline, Radar (named for his huge ears when he was a kitten—boy, was he an ugly kitten!), sits on the windowsill and does what I call chuttering at the birds, a low-pitched sound that reveals his excitement and irritation, and reminds me of kitty Morse code. He fantasizes about catching a junco or cardinal, too, but he’s a pampered kitty and knows it’s useless. Besides, the blue jays can be really wicked toward cats, lol.

Anyway, although we miss the wide, rolling field surrounded by trees at the old house, our new home has many attributes too. One is the high peaks where we can look up and down the creek bottom for miles. Another is the pond across the gravel road where we sat fishing last summer and fall. Although the pond seems full of only blue gill, the youngest, who is six, has a lot of fun catching them.

Life changes, and we adjust to it, but one thing a writer does is incorporate those changes into his or her writing. It doesn’t matter if it’s science fiction, romance or mainstream, a writer’s experiences slip into their work. In a way, it’s like journaling, only we put it in fiction form.

Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shaw has had a rough life. Chased out of town years ago by one of the community’s leaders, Lizzy has finally returned. However, living with her virtuous grandmother exercises Lizzy’s patience, especially when Lizzy’s mother, who was an aspiring actress, tarnished her reputation by changing boyfriends as frequently as her nail polish.

Regardless, Daniel Rivers, the love she left behind, wants Lizzy back. He demands to know why she left town and why she never replied to any of his letters. Lizzy can’t let Daniel know her secret, but she can’t resist his crooked smile and warm, brown eyes either. Sparks fly between the couple, but Lizzy is determined not to make the same mistake with Daniel. However, when Lizzy is kidnapped by one of her mother’s old boyfriends, it puts life in a different perspective for Lizzy and she realizes she must tell Daniel about his son.

Can Lizzy resist the lure of Daniel’s touch, the way her entire body responds to him every time he glances her way? Or will the truth about Daniel’s son tear them apart a second time?


Margie Church said...

As they always say, the only thing you can expect is change. No point being dragged kicking and screaming to the game. I draw on the magic, pain, or joy of those changes when I write. It's good to be able to reach inside and pull out that precise emotion and include it.

Faith said...

I agree, Margie. It makes our work richer.

Lisa Alexander Griffin said...

Normally, I can draw on those changes, Faith. But lately, not so much. I'm just sort of at a standstill with writing and life. But, I'm praying that spring revitalizes me, gives me a sense of peace and helps me to move forward.

So glad you're loving the new house! :)

Janice said...


The new home sounds lovely. That great that you can weaves your life's changes into your writing.

Faith said...

Hi Lisa! I've been wondering how you've been of late. Total chaos or total standstills can sure make one re-evaluate one's life. However, spring is a great way to feel healed or inspired.

Janice, we do have a nice home. If you go to you can access the albums there and see the ridge lines, trees, the farm, etc. We're very blessed.

Lisa Alexander Griffin said...

It's a beautiful place, Faith. So peaceful looking. And in the spring it will be fantastic!

As for me. I'm doing a little better, but have a long way to go. Still doing therapy. lol. Thanks for asking. :)

Hoping that working outside and in the garden will eventually help with my mobility. Just have to take baby steps.

Charlotte McClain said...

I'm a big fan of change. Living in four different countries in the last five years, I have to be. I've seen the pictures of your house on Facebook and it's envy-worthy.

Faith said...

Wow, Charlotte, I can't imagine having to move that much and 5 dif countries at that! And I moaned and whined about moving 8 miles!

Kate Richards said...

Don't the kitties love watching the birds? I always wonder why so many nest in front of our house, when it is cat central out there. But you have much more dramatic birds! How lovely it must be.

Faith said...

Morning Kate! LOL @ Cat Central!

Melisse Aires said...

Sometimes I long for change that I can control--moving into a new house, or planning a trip or a new job. Most of the change we have experienced in the past year was sudden and not wonderful--job lay off, job restructuring, serious health issues. I am ready for a season of calm. But still there is change I look forward to--my oldest graduates high school this spring and starts college in the fall!

I'm not sure how this affects my writing other than to slow me down. I hope it deepens the conflict and portrays more emotional punch in my stories.

Faith said...

Melisse, your life sounds a lot like mine right now. The hubby was laid off right after Christmas, etc., etc., so I can relate. All you do is channel your feelings into your work. Maybe a woman meets a guy who lost his jobs and she has a really high-paying job. They love one another but her money causes strife between them...

Just let your imagination roll! And when you can channel life issues into your work, it helps release tension.

Good luck to you!