Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday Spotlight: Stacey Joy Netzel


In my books, I’ve had many of my characters own their own businesses. Whether it’s as a dog-sitter, veterinarian, construction company, financial advisor, rancher, or antique shop, they have the freedom of being their own boss, yet they have the troubles that can come with a business that isn’t necessarily doing the best, or they have to deal with employees, etc.

Jobs in general for my heroes and heroines have included lawyers, construction workers, waitresses, advertising executive, an animal behaviorist, a park ranger and a few others. Upcoming books will feature a wedding cake baker, a movie star, television producer, photographer, documents courier, undercover cop, jewelry maker, and a US Marshall.

Some will require lots of research (I’m thinking especially for the wedding cake baker *grin*) and others will be in the background to shape the character. Either way, I work at keeping them varied, despite always wanting to go back to a job that is easiest for me as an author to deal with.

I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks about the different jobs that heroes and heroines have in books. Do you have favorites? Are there jobs that an author describes that make you laugh? Say ewww? Roll your eyes?

Which ones do you feel are overdone? (You set the book back on the shelf as soon as you read on the back cover that the hero is part of a covert secret agency where no rules apply.)

Which ones would you buy the book no matter what? (You immediately put the book in your cart when you read that the hero is part of a covert secret agency where no rules apply. :-))

What’s the wackiest job that you’d love to read about?


Most dangerous?


Come on and share!

**Everyone who comments is eligible for the prize at the end of the week: ebook or print copy of my new release, TRUST IN THE LAWE. Check out my website for a excerpts of this and my other books.

Stacey Joy Netzel


Cassy Campbell said...

I don't have any particular turn-ons or -offs when it comes to a character's job, but research is key! Authentic detail makes it believable. On the other hand, unless an author is writing a how-to manual for prosecuting attorneys, we probably don't need to know which forms the lawyer filed at which offices to get her case into court. Authentic relevant detail makes it interesting! The character's job should always be a reflection of them, and either relevant to their personality or the plot of the story. Let's face it, our jobs are where we spend more than half of our waking lives!

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Cassy, that makes perfect sense about not having to write a how-to manual, but to make sure the details included are authentic. Because you never know when someone who has your heroine's job will read your book.

But do we really have to face the fact more than half our waking hours are spent at our jobs? I guess I wouldn't mind if I was a full time writer.

Thanks for coming by!

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Well, you know me, I love my cop heroes. Especially small town cops. And oddly enough I never get tired of them. :-) I have a thing for blue-collar heroes in general--police officers, carpenters, electricians, plumbers. Not that I don't like to change it up sometimes. ;-)

Edie Ramer said...

I oddly like books in which the hero plays hockey. In real life, I don't think that's the greatest job in the world. lol

I've noticed in cozy mysteries how many of the different heroines end up with cop boyfriends. I'm starting to feel "not another one." Otherwise, I have no problems with any author's choice.

Rachel Lynne said...

While not a turn off, I don't care to read books that feature law enforcement types: not so much the job as how that job leads to a plot of 'cops and robbers', action flick plots-I prefer cozy mystery type suspense and love quirky characters with unusual or interesting jobs or hobbies. I loved Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden books: a librarian with the hobby of discussing real life, gory, serial murders and such! I'm fond of cooking jobs but that is probably because I worked as a caterer for so many years :)
As an author, I choose professions that I either know someone that does it or I've done it. If I choose something I know nothing about it has to be something I'd love to do otherwise I won't want to do the research :)

Etienne's Stories said...

Whether the heroes occupation is important or not really depends upon how relevant it is to the story. I mean, if it's about a cop solving crime, then the occupation does matter.

If it's about the personal life of a cop and his occupation merely intrudes from time to time, then the occupation isn't relevant.

Green Orchid said...

Usually it doesn't really matter what the hero's or heroine's job is,but I,m more apt to pick up the book if it has something to do with the outdoors.I love mystery books but not spy books.They are too political.I'll read all types of books, right now it's a sci-fi one which is out of the box for me,but I like to mix it up.I've learned to enjoy the romance books more the last few years,I think the authors got better or my taste just changed.

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Donna, you write the cops so well. I love the alpha protective type. Something about a man willing to kill or die to protect his woman is very hot.

Edie--too funny about the hockey--I have to agree! Most athelete heroes work for me. Probably because they're so physical.

Rachel--cooking professions are good. Cooking involves many of the senses and can be so sexy. I also tend toward jobs I know something about--I'm not a huge fan of extensive research.

Etienne--I agree that a character's job may not be relevant to the story, but on the other hand, the job can still reveal a lot about a character. Every detail can enhance the story.

Green Orchid--I'm getting a bit better about mixing it up with my reading. Well, most of my choices are still romance, but I read comedy, historical, sci-fi, paranormal, and contempory because of friends publishing and through judging contests. It's great!

I'm glad you all came by to discuss. :)

desitheblonde said...

me i like the good guy bad guy
it really does not matter they
will get there man sooner or later but i love the cover of the books and would love to read them

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Desi--that's the best part about romance--the heroine always gets her guy in the end. Thanks for coming by!