Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Stacey Joy Netzel


Welcome to the week! I hope you’ll join me each day, and to start things off, I thought I’d take a little trip down memory lane by sharing one of my favorite book series as a kid: The Black Stallion Series, by Walter Farley.

I read and collected every book in the series I could get my hands on. I swear I had more than what’s pictured, but unfortunately, this is all I have left on my shelf. I know for a fact that my first copy of The Black Stallion fell apart from multiple readings. The rest…not so sure where they went. There are 21 books in the series. :-) I keep hoping my daughter will decide to read them and fall in love as I did, but alas, she’s more into cats and owls. (Guardians of Ga’Hoole, anyone?)

I liked the Black Stallion covers as much as the books themselves. Who could resist the beautiful horses? Mr. Farley created such a bond between Alec Ramsay and his horse, Black, entertaining me for countless hours. My favorite in the series was The Black Stallion Revolts, where Alec had amnesia. My next favorite was The Island Stallion, about a flame-colored stallion on a mysterious island. And the ultimate…The Black Stallion and Flame, a showdown between the two stallions.

Just the other day while at B&N, I checked the kids section to see if they still carried the series. They do, though only the first two books of the series were on the shelf. The others are available to order. They’ve redone the covers with reissued editions, but I still prefer the old ones.

Quick fun fact: The Black Stallion was first published in 1941.

I had no idea back when I was reading the books in the 80’s that they were already over 40 years old. I never thought to check copyright dates back then. One of these days, I’m going to have to pick one up to do some rereading. I have no doubt I’ll still enjoy them.

Your turn. What is a series you read as a kid that is still near and dear to your heart?

**Everyone who comments is eligible for the prize at the end of the week: ebook or print copy of my new release, TRUST IN THE LAWE. Check out my website for a excerpts of this an my other books.

Stacey Joy Netzel


Dawn said...

Hardy Boys Series and The Bobbsey Twins..
Showing my age huh?


Sandy said...

Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, The Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden and all the Black Stallion Series.

You're lucky to have a friend like Donna, Stacey. Smile.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Stacey,

When I was young I wasn't the reader I am now, but I still recall reading and loving Charlotte’s Web. My daughter loved, loved the Babysitter’s Club.

Have a great week.


Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Dawn, I loved the Hardy Boys as a kid, too, do I don't think you're showing your age at all. I liked them more than Nancy Drew.(sorry, Sandy) Maybe because I was more of a tomboy? Not sure.

Sandy--a fellow Black Stallion reader. Though I'm sure there's lots of us, young and older. :) And yes, I am SO lucky to have a friend like Donna.

Christie--Charlotte's Web I remember one of my teachers reading out loud. So good! Have a great week, too.

Thanks for stopping by Dawn, Sandy and Christie!

Another book I just thought of that I LOVED as a kid: Where The Red Fern Grows. But I cried every time I read it.

One more...Dragon's Blood, by Jane Yolen.

Wolf Bear said...

I came from a family of non-readers. Didn't realize there were "series" books to be had.

In my young teens, my aunt introduced me to books and I've been a voracious reader ever since.

Cassy Campbell said...

Stacey, I loved the Black Stallion too! My favorite was The Black Stallion Mystery. I've reread it as an adult and it's still spooky-creepy. I've still got all of mine--about 18 in all. Another of my favorite series was Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time. I just reread that last year, and I can't believe it was written for children. No talking owls in that one! The other series I just absolutely loved, and still do, is The Lord of the Rings. I've read that one about sixteen times. I think I'll make seventeen this spring, if my books can hold together for one more read!

Green Orchid said...

You brought back such fond memories with your picture of the black stallion books. I loved those books, and all other horse books. The librarian at my school would get in as many as she could and tell my friend and I when she saw us in the hall. Since I was born in 1945 the series was still new. By the way I did finally get a real horse,a palomino. When I saw the horse on your book cover it immediately caught my eye.

wayne said...

Wolf Bear, my mom read some, but not much. I gravitated toward reading because I was so was something to keep me company when I was bored--the benefits and enjoyment ended up be a great bonus.

Cassie, I loved The Hobbit, but never did read the LOTR series. I watched the movies and while I did like them, I have no desire to rewatch them like I do my romantic comedies. Hope your books stand up to more than just one more reading. :)

Green Orchid--glad you finally got your horse. :) I grew up with them and still have the horse I got when I was 13. Got him at age 9mo, and he'll be 26 this March. (Now you can do the math on my age.) lol

I don't remember talking to my school librarian much, but I loved my 6th and 8th grade reading teachers!

Thank you all for coming by. :)

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

That last comment was from Me, not my hubby! He was signed in to Google and I didn't know it.

Kelly McCrady said...

I loved the Misty of Chincoteague (sp) books, the Little House on the Prairie series, Anne of Green Gables (I've read the whole series twice), Bobbsey Twins, Meg Mysteries, Trixie Belden, A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels, The Chronicles of Narnia

Many of these I've shared with my daughter and she has added Nancy Drew to that list.

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Kelly--I loved the Misty books, too. And you just reminded me of Story, Misty's Foal. I LOVED that book and had forgotten about it.

You are all getting me very curious about The Bobbsey Twins.

And crazy as it seems, while I loved the Little House on the Prarie t.v. series, I never read the books.