Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Kiss Carson

Character Archetypes

I love creating characters. More often than not, I start a new story just so I can meet my new characters. Although, they don’t always behave. My Librarians end up as Crusaders. My Free Spirits end up as Seductresses. My Swashbucklers end up as Lost Souls. This is a good thing. I hope.

My favorite book when it comes to characters is The Complete Writer’s Guide to Heroes and Heroines (Sixteen Master Archetypes) by Tami D Cowden, Caro LaFever and Sue Viders.

I often refer to this book when my heroine is a little wishy washy, and needs more oomph to keep up with her gorgeous hero. Now, I don’t study this book. I take the key facts and turn them into a character I’m proud of.

Take Calypso James from my recent release, Calypso’s Curse. She starts out a Waif/Librarian. Woe is me vs I can do this as long as you don’t interrupt me. And by the end of the book, she is a Gutsy Kid, ready to face the world.

Now for the gorgeous, but cheeky, Israel Alexander, Calypso’s hero counterpart. At the start of the story, and pretty much throughout, he is a Charmer/Lost Soul. Oh, yes. However, by the last page he is a Warrior.

Just like real people, characters need to develop. The hero needs to open up and find his inner child, or the other way around, he needs to grow up. The heroine needs to find the courage to love and put up with the hero or the demands the story. During their metamorphosis, a story is told, worthy of tears, cheers and laughter.

1 comment:

wanda f said...

I love the self journey that characters go through as they develop I love experiencing it along with them thats what makes stories so great .