Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: J.S. Nichols


Swimming in the Sea

            It’s Wednesday and during the holiday season most people don’t think about swim safety. Right now, thoughts have turned to casseroles and cookies, shopping and wrapping.
           
            Let me divert your attention for a minute. Join me as we step onto the cruise ship from my debut novel, Come Back to Me. The romantic suspense is set on a cruise ship sailing around the Caribbean.

The sun blazes in a sky so blue it almost hurts your eyes. The air is warm, salty and invigorating and you can’t help drawing a deep breath.  In the distance a bird arrows down into the water then shoots back toward the heavens, a hapless fish dangles from its beak.
           
            The handrail of the pristine ship is teak and warm to the touch.  It gleams in the afternoon sunshine.  Below, waves lap at the side of the anchored ship.  People disembark, some head out to shop, others amble toward the beach. You follow the beachgoers.

The sea water is crystalline and fish dart away as people begin to splash. There are shrieks of joy followed by laughter.  Nearby, a line forms on a pier nearby polished so well, no one receives a splinter even when bare toes curl on the wood.

One after another, people jump from the pier.  The water looks warm, and inviting. Do you jump of the pier?

Can you swim?

You think back to swim classes you took at the YMCA. The swim instructor not only helped you conquer your fear of the water, but encouraged you every step of the way as you learned the backstroke, the breaststroke and even your feeble attempt at the butterfly.

It didn’t matter to the Y that your family couldn’t afford the swim classes.  Through their Open Doors program, you received the lessons you needed.

You can swim. Thanks to the staff and volunteers who helped run the classes that the Y holds all year round. 

With a smile and a wave, you dive into the water.

To learn what classes are available and what else the Y does to help its community go to, http://www.ymca.net/.

Happy Wednesday.

7 comments:

Maureen said...

Both my children did learn to swim at the YMCA
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Lynn said...

Hi JS!

I took a session of swimming lessons, but it took me the entire time to learn they wanted me to open my eyes IN the water.

Details...
Lalala

Valerie Bowman said...

Love Zumba at the Y!

Carla said...

Hi Jess! I learned to swim at an early age, but not at the Y. A local private pool offered lessons so my mom signed my brother and me up. That's where I had my first crush, now that I think of it. My teacher's name was Alfonso and he was so kind and funny (and he had a smile that set my 8-year-old heart a-flutter). He's probably 60-something now but I'll never forget him. To this day I'm not afraid of swimming, and I passed that on to my youngest, who's a water rat if there's a pool nearby. We swam at Variety Club until they closed their indoor heated pool, but it was nearly impossible to get him OUT of the water.

Your images made me think of Bermuda, summer 2004. ::SIGH:: The beach at St. Catherine's. The water was so warm and so clear, and there was an abandoned Holiday Inn on the hill that reminded me of something out of The Shining, but it kept me wondering, what stories go on there? (And how does *anyone* abandon property on Bermuda?!) Such a nice memory to have on a chilly December morning. Thanks!!

Dijana said...

Both my kids learned to swim at the YMCA also. Ours has the bonus of a cocoa machine. With enough vanilla creamers in there, they taste really good.
Love your posts Jess! Great idea!!

rita said...

I spent days at the beach before I was one. I learned to ride the waves before learning to swim. In fact don't remember any swimming lessons. But then I have CRS

Jess said...

Good Morning Ladies,

Thanks for stopping by today.

The Y really is an amazing charitable organization.

On a personal level, both of my boys learned to swim at our local branch. And let me tell you, a four-year-old confidently going off the diving board is a sight to behold.