Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: J.S. Nichols

Hungry for a Cause

            One of my favorite songs, especially at this time of year is, “Do They Know It’s Christmastime (Feed the World)” by Band Aid. The song happens to be a favorite of Ryan McKinnon, hero of my debut novel, Come Back to Me.
When not chasing after his wayward fiancée, Ryan McKinnon likes to lend a hand to help end world hunger. A big guy—we’re talking 6’6”—Ryan is often called upon to help load trucks with the assemble bags of food.  Honestly, that’s fine with Ryan; he’d rather do the heavy lifting than talk in front of an audience.

With his background as a police officer, Ryan has seen the darker side of life.  Living in the city of Tidewater, he also knows poverty and hunger can strike anyone. Children are often the most affected. And a hungry or hurting child is something he cannot stand to see. For this reason, Ryan is active with Stop Hunger Now, an international organization dedicated to ending world hunger.

            Although Ryan is a fictitious character, Stop Hunger Now is a real program. Founded in 1998 the organization made it a mission to feed the world. This grass roots non-profit works with religious groups to raise funds to buy nutritious food then asks the local community to come out and help assemble bags. In a single afternoon, with the help of the community, Stop Hunger Now can assemble 20,000 bagged meals ready for shipment around the world.

            For more information about this incredible organization go to: .

            Happy Thursday!


robynl said...

20,000 - that is awesome.

Jess said...

Yes, it was an amazing experience participating with Stop Hunger Now!

There are other ways to help feed the hungry, including going through your local foodbank.

Thanks for stopping by, Robynl.

Maureen said...

It sounds like an amazing organization.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

donthangupthequill said...

Man I wish our heroes existed in real life. Oh, wait... I get to meet him if I can just hold on 'til January!

These teasers are driving me crazy!!

Valerie Bowman said...

Ooh, I wish our heros existed in real life too. Though at 6.6, Ryan could step on me, I think!

Madeline Martin said...

I can take 6.6 with the right heels. ;)

Jess, thank you not only for the article, but also for your selfless dedication toward the aid of others. You are an inspiration to us all.

Now...where do I mail all those extra cans of sauerkraut I have in my pantry? ;)

Jaye Garland said...

Awesome way you combined the honorable characteristics of your hero with actually doing good in society. It's actually quite a hook. Love it!

Dijana said...

wonderful organization! Sounds like you're a true blessing to your community. I'd like to put my vote in for the Boy Scouts...they do lots of good things too, teaching great values to kids and having them help with organizations like brown santa.

Carla said...

Hey Madeline, what's wrong with saurkraut?! :)

Another great charity, Jess. Too scary to think that there but for the grace of God could be I. I sometimes complain about having to make dinner at the end of a long day, but at least I get to eat something. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Thanks for sharing!