Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Spotlight: J.S. Nichols

It's a Team Effort

            It’s Friday and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Long and the Short Reviews for hosting me this week.  As an unknown debut author I can tell you getting your name out in front of new readers is a team effort.  Through opportunities like the Author Spotlight and with help from my publisher, Sapphire Blue Publishing, the name J.S. Nichols is no longer completely unknown.
            Every day this week, I’ve asked you to follow along as I used themes from my upcoming novel, Come Back to Me, to talk about some of my favorite charities. As crazy as it sounds to use a book set during spring break to highlight charities as we head into the winter holiday season, I think it’s worked.

We’ve talked about Erin’s favorite charity, The March of Dimes, Ryan’s favorite charity, Stop Hunger Now, we used the cruise ship to discuss The YMCA and I kicked off this week talking about the American Red Cross.

            Today, I want to talk about the American Cancer Society. Cancer is a frightening word, especially when applied to your sibling, your parent, your spouse, your child or you. I’m intimately familiar with the word. In seven years we’ve had three different types of cancer affect my family.
            Did you know the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is already gearing up for next spring’s walk? As we wrap presents and sing carols, staff and volunteers are recruiting team captains, encouraging donations in memoriam and designing new ways to inspire more people to take action.

            The American Cancer Society doesn’t just focus on one type of cancer but the money donated goes to researching all different types. Finding and funding a cure for all cancers in our life time is a team effort. For more information about the American Cancer Society or getting involved with the Relay for life go to

            Thank you for reading this week. Come Back to Me is scheduled for release in January 2011 by Sapphire Blue Publishing. Again, this has been J.S. Nichols but you can call me, Jess.


Maureen said...

Cancer is a scary word and The American Cancer Society has done a great job of raising money to fight it.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Jess said...

Thanks Maureen. You're right, ACS does a lot to raise money. But that's just one aspect of what they do.

ACS and the Relay For Life campaign, also raise awareness of the various types of cancer.

Plus, when cancer strikes, we often feel very alone. ACS makes it possible for those affected to share experiences and understand we are not alone.

Jaye Garland said...

Jess, loved reading your posts this week. I'm still in awe of how you've woven great charitable organizations into your romance. I'm looking forward to the release of COME BACK TO ME in...January! Congratulations on your first sale and here's to many more!

Valerie Bowman said...

Can't wait for the Come Back to Me release.
ACS is a fantastic organization!

Jess said...

Thank you, Jaye and Valerie.

Pamala Knight said...

The American Cancer Society does so much good work and I'm happy to say that I too, support them. I've lost more than a few very dear loved ones to cancer and giving to the ACS provides hope that research and medical breakthroughs will prevent more loss.

You've had an awesome week in the spotlight, Jess and you should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations!!

Carla said...

Great job this week, Jess! You've picked some excellent, most worthy charities, and I'm sure they're grateful for your support! Can't wait to meet Erin and Ryan! In your honor, I'm already daydreaming about a cruise ship. Doesn't hurt that this a.m. it was 25 degrees here in PA. Brrr...

Dijana said...

wonderful choice for your last organization! I don't think my aunt would be alive today if it weren't for their hard work.
Can't wait to read Come Back to Me!

Jess said...

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome here at The Long and The Short of It.

Thanks for stopping by all week.

Happy Holidays!