Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Melissa Miller

How to handle negative criticism.
 My advice would be  don't let the negative reviews and things bother you. Just write because you enjoy writing. 
 You have to be thick-skinned to be an author :)  Keep in mind that somebody reading your book could have had a bad day and decided to take it out on your book. I've had it happen to me.
I've received 4 and 5 star reviews and then all of the sudden I'll get a bad review. I just laugh at what they say and move on. You can't let it bother you and never give up just because one person didn't like your book. You will find a handful of others who simply love the book.
Keep in mind the old phrase “You can't please them all” and you will do fine in this business. :) 
I remember this one time in particular, one of my books received several reviews. One was a 5, one was a 4, one was a 4.5, and then all of the sudden a review site, which I won't mention, gave me a 2 and said I wrote worse than a child in elementary school. LOL. I just laughed and didn't let it bother me. 
Then that night I got a call from my mom. She said, "I just saw this review; are you ok?"
I laughed and said, "Oh yeah, I don't let that stuff bother me."
That brings me back to my point about people having a bad day and taking it out on your book. You can't get consistently good reviews and then one that tells you that you can't write and let that one bother you. You just read it and move on. No big deal.
If you let it bother you then you will be bummed for the whole day. :) 

1 comment:

katsrus said...

That's wonderful you can do that. I know it sure would bother me if I was an author.
Sue B