Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Melissa McClone

MUSIC TO WRITE BY


I'm not only a writer, but also a wife and mother. I have a lot going on in life besides my current work in progress and spend a lot of my time driving kids from one activity to another. Often, my writing time comes in bits and pieces. That means when I have a free moment, I need to get my head into the story right away.

This isn't always easy with so much going on around me. But like many other authors, I've found music is the quickest way to get my head where it needs to be so I can write. Certain music and lyrics remind me of characters, setting, plot, etc. When I hear these songs, I can easily transport myself into the pages and start writing more productively.

With each manuscript, I come up with a soundtrack to help with the writing process. Sometimes it's one song. Other times I could fill an entire CD. There are always some standby songs (such as music by Lifehouse) that put me in the writing mood for every book. Here is the book soundtrack for CHRISTMAS MAGIC ON THE MOUNTAIN:

The main song was Use Somebody by the Kings of Leon. I was writing the proposal when I heard this song on the radio as I was driving to Toys R Us. I knew it was perfect for the story. Of course, my husband cannot stand the song after hearing it pretty much non-stop from September through January, when I finished the revisions. My kids, however, love it and know all the lyrics by heart.



The other song was All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey. (I also listened to the version from the movie Love Actually a couple of times.) I've always loved this song. It's so cheery and fun. The lyrics are perfect for a Christmassy romance and really fit with my heroine, Zoe.



In late October, I was driving and heard the song All In by Lifehouse. Even though the song wasn't out when I was writing the story, I'm including it here because it fits perfectly. Whenever I hear the song, I can't stop thinking about CHRISTMAS MAGIC ON THE MOUNTAIN.



Are there certain songs that you use as a reminder or to put you in a frame of mind? What are they?

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Music definitely can give me a happy or sad feeling like watching or reading a story. One of my favorites is Sweetest Thing by U2.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Melissa McClone said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Maureen. Thanks for stopping by on turkey day. I'm going to swing by You Tube and listen to the U2 song. I can't place it, but I was up late last night doing revisions so a little tired!

cheryl c said...

I am beginning to listen to Christmas music for the season. This song is a new discovery for me. It's "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" by Casting Crowns. You can find it on You Tube. It is so hauntingly beautiful.
castings at mindspring dot com