Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday Spotlight: Michelle Picard

Part of the Virtual Book Tour for Surviving Eden, organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Comments on this post, in addition to having the chance to win an autographed copy of Michelle's first book in the series, Ruling Eden, will also be entered into the tour contest for a special gardening set consisting of a hummingbird feeder, nectar concentrate food for the feeder, and several packets of garden flowers. The other tour stops can be seen here. Remember, the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.


Five years ago when I began writing RULING EDEN, my contemporary fantasy romance, I never expected anything except, if lucky, to finish my first ever manuscript. That had been my dream. No more, no less. What I found was much more. Not only did I complete the story, which recently took second place in the 2010 PRISM awards fantasy category, the published authors contest sponsored by the Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal chapter of the Romance Writers Association, but the endeavor created an entire new network of friends, experiences, learning and creativity for me. With it I’ve come to believe in is the magic of expansiveness.

Opening yourself to creativity opens doors. That one decision to complete this manuscript led me to call the mother of a close friend for advice. She’d published a handful of romance novels a decade before. I was reminded that this lovely lady was not simply a parent of a contemporary of mine, but was a complex interesting woman in her own right who became my friend. In addition she pointed me in the direction of the local chapter of the Romance Writer’s Association. Through my New England chapter I found critique groups filled with people who also became great friends. My life can only be richer for these friendships.

My creativity brought great joy and a lifelong goal fulfilled. It brought me centeredness. It improved my marriage, the romance aspect in my writing adding a spice between my husband and me. It made me more likely to pick up pencils and crayons and paint for the occasional art projects I’d always avoided due to a total lack of visual artistic acumen. It brought pride to my sons in their mother. To this day my oldest goes around bragging about my books.

My creativity brought a new connection between me and my father, a visual artist in his own right. It’s enriched our relationship, for which I am extremely thankful. It has also improved my self-esteem as a variety of fantastic reviews praised my efforts. Traveling to writing conferences has brought me to new cities I had never visited.

In short, I am more interested in life and life is more interested in me. Everybody is creative. Have you ever wanted to take a pottery class? A sewing or knitting class? Learn how to scrapbook? Sat down to write a poem? Ever dragged out old magazines to work on a collage? Do it! The act of creating something is cathartic and soul expanding. I’m happy to predict you’ll have no clue where the path will lead you.

1 comment:

Sherry Gloag said...

Beautiful post, Michelle. Thanks for sharing.