Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Michelle Picard

Part of the Virtual Book Tour for Surviving Eden, organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Comments on this post, in addition to having the chance to win an autographed copy of Michelle's first book in the series, Ruling Eden, will also be entered into the tour contest for a special gardening set consisting of a hummingbird feeder, nectar concentrate food for the feeder, and several packets of garden flowers. The other tour stops can be seen here. Remember, the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.


Everything has screamed at me to write about water. Water is the stuff of life. Human babies are born three quarters water. Between the BP oil spill crisis from earlier in the year, to rising sea levels from polar ice cap melt, to worries about freshwater drinking supply, to wars raged over water rights, to discovering water in space and on other planets, the importance of H2O has never been so apparent. It’s a powerful force, in our earthbound storms and in spiritual meanings of rejuvenation and rebirth.

I’ve recently received some rudimentary sailing lessons to prepare me for a weeklong sailing trip with my family. I’m a bit anxious about it. The sea is one of the last areas in our mostly domesticated planet where mistakes are not easily forgiven. But I’m determined to harness that natural tension during the experience and the part of sailing that feels like the struggle to master the elements.

Choosing a theme of water in future tales both satisfies my desire to write about powerful forces, about gateways, since the surface of the ocean is one big gate to an entirely alien undersea realm, and about issues of letting go of control.

And I may be able to use my sailing experience in my current work even before launching a new water based project. Rachel, my heroine in Ruling Eden and Surviving Eden, my newest release, is all about control. She’s been on her own for so many years she’s perfected the walls she uses to maintain it. But the journey she takes in the Eden’s Court series is about learning how to let go of some of that control at the same time she acquires more responsibility than ever. Two books into the series is a perfect time for me to enhance her sense of letting go--the free fall when we acknowledge there is plenty in life we cannot direct and that we can benefit from stopping the sometimes fruitless struggle to try. If I can grab that feeling on my sailing trip and inject it into her I will be thrilled.

Real life intersects my writing life so frequently. And the results are a powerful tide like force themselves. Has anyone else had the experience of their professional life enriching and complimenting their personal life or vice versa? I always love to get messages if you have personal examples. I can be reached through my blogsite or website through contact suggestions at

1 comment:

Sherry Gloag said...

I hope your had a great time on the ocean. Letting go is such a hard thing to do, especially if you are a need-to-know kind of person, and yet...
When you do that to creates a strong sense of freedom.
Great week of posts. Thanks for letting us into your Eden.