Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Ruth J. Hartman

Don’t Overlook Small Publishers

For new writers, their dreams are often of being a New York Times Best Seller. Actually, that dream isn’t just for new writers. It’s probably for most, if not all writers. But after gaining a little knowledge and writing experience, I’ve learned of the many opportunities out there for writers. The Internet has given the modern writer unending possibilities for publisher information and submission opportunities.

All of the publishers I’m associated with for my books are small, independent publishing houses. There are many positives there. Here are just a few:

Shorter response time for acceptance or rejection

More individualized one-on-one relationship with your editor

Comfortable back and forth e-mails concerning edits

Author input for cover art

Better opportunities for publication

Less competition from fellow authors for precious openings in the publisher’s schedule

Once accepted by the publisher, you’re often treated as a friend or even family

Many articles I’ve come across downplay small publishers. Most of these articles, I imagine, were either by or for someone associated with a large publishing house. When I first started my publisher research, I bought into that idea. But not now. My first experience with a publisher was not only with a small one, but non-profit as well. Oh, and did I mention the location? They are located in the UK. I live in the US. Indiana to be exact. They didn’t seem to mind that I’d never been published before, or that I asked a lot of dumb (really dumb) questions. They were patient and kind and took me through the process from query to finished product. For that, I will be forever grateful.

My other experiences with small publishers have been positive as well. And with each one, I gained a little more confidence in my writing life. If you are un-published, give them a try. If you are already published, and wish to try someone new, give them a try. What I’m trying to say is: give small publishers a try!

1 comment:

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks for sharing this interesting topic with us. I agree with what you say about the short turn round and connection with editors and stff at the pulisher. In fact for many new authors it IS the way to go.
Good luck with your new book