Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Ruth J. Hartman

Social Media: Try it, You’ll Like it!

I had just started checking out Twitter when I was writing Pillow Talk. The ins and outs of it took me a little while to get used to. Just when I was ready to bag the whole thing, it started to make sense to me.

I’d recently had a second romance novel accepted by a one of the many publishers where I’d sent submissions. An editor, from one of the other publishers who looked at my manuscript, and I had connected on Twitter. To my surprise and delight, she commented that she’d read my romance novel and liked it. That was a great big much-needed pat on the back for me. And it gave me the incentive to submit my next romance novel to them again. They quickly accepted.

I’d heard about things happening through connections on Twitter, Facebook and other sites, but that was my first experience with it. I know it wasn’t huge, like someone who ends up with a TV series from it, but it was enormous for me! My writing and publishing journey has been mainly small steps. But each one gives me the boost I need to keep going. To keep writing, and submitting. It seems just when I’m feeling stagnant and stale, something or someone in the writing world gives me a lift.

We’ve all read about social media sites and the importance of being active with them. I’m a firm believer of that now. You just never know who might be reading your posts on social media sites. It could turn out to be a wonderful break for you!


Sherry Gloag said...

Oh Ruth, I am finding interpreting twitter almost impossible, so I'm delighted you perservered and it paid off. perhaps I'll hang-in-there too.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us.
Best wishes for Pillow Talk and your WsIP

Liz said...

I just saw an item (and sadly I don't remember where) about how someone credited Twitter with getting her book published! It may have been a second book. I can't really recall. But I did just see it, as in last night or this morning. Maybe I'll find it later on and post again.

I find Twitter somewhat difficult to use for anything other than back and forth. I'm not sure how you'd use it in a promotional sense! I obviously need to study it more.

I'll have to take a look at "Pillow Talk" -- sounds interesting. My current romance read is "Soul Mates" by Ron Weaver, who's producer for "Bold and the Beautiful." It's a novel of forbidden love! Got some good plot twists and of course, the idea of "soul mates" and a love that transcends.