Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: K. Dawn Byrd

Getting to Know K. Dawn Byrd


How did the story come to you?

I've always been an avid reader and planned to write a book one day. When I began work as a counselor in a jail, I thought that would be a neat setting for the book. I began to jot down notes about the environment such as sights, sounds, and smells. Before I knew it, my heroine had formed in my mind, begging me to tell her story.

Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.

This book didn't go through rejections because I never sent it out. I did enter it into some contests in order to get feedback. It finaled in the Duel on the Delta last year. An agent took a look at it and said that she really liked my writing, but was afraid it might be hard to sell a book partially set in a jail. It was then I realized that there's such a thing as writing to market if you want to sell. About that time, I became friends with Michelle Sutton and she recommended one of her publishers to me, Desert Breeze Publishing. They liked it and the rest is history.

Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.

1.I own two hairless Chinese Crested dogs.

2.I love sour things....pickles, lemons, sour candy.

3.I used to ride a Harley, but gave it up in order to have more time to write. (My husband always wanted to stay out way too long and take the scenic route home. He still has his bike, but I don't miss mine at all.)

What are you working on now and what's next for you?

I'm working on my fifth novel. I've not tried to place novels three and four because an agent is looking at them and I'm awaiting his advice. I can say that Desert Breeze has been absolutely wonderful to work with and I'll be sending them more of my work.

Where can fans find you on the internet?

www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com

I'm also on Twitter (kdawnbyrd) and facebook (K Dawn Byrd.) I am the moderator of the Christian Fiction Gathering facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=128209963444) If you join this group, you'll get reminders about the weekly book giveways.

6 comments:

StephB said...

Good luck with your novel, K Dawn. Killing Time looks to be an intriguing read

Smiles
Steph

Charity said...

I would really love to read this book. Trying to enter in different spots to win it:) Thanks for the chance!

esterried[at]yahoo[dot]com

Shawna Williams said...

Best of luck, K.! And congratulations on another great book!

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Great interview. Would love to read Killing Time. Sounds intriguing. Congratulations on your book's release and continued blessings on all of your endeavors.

Michelle Sutton said...

Sweet spotlight, K Dawn.

Deborah M said...

I've been wanting to read one of Dawn's books. This looks like another good one. I have a nook and love ebooks.
Deborah M.
debbiejeanm[at]gmail[dot]com