Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday Spotlight: K. Dawn Byrd

The Story Behind the Story


Killing Time came about due to my work as a counselor in a jail. I've always been an avid reader and had planned for many years to write a book. When I began work at the jail, my thoughts returned to the book. I thought it would be interesting to use the jail setting. My overactive imagination took over and questions began to surface, like, "What if a strong Christian woman is wrongly accused and incarcerated? Will she turn against God? Will her faith grow stronger? Will she crack under the pressure? What if she's stalked and someone attempts to murder her upon release? What if I cause her to fall in love with a handsome counselor at the jail, someone she knows she can't have because now that she's an inmate, she's everything he's against?"

It wasn't long before this character took shape in my mind. I'd already been jotting down notes pertaining to the jail setting such as the sounds, odors, sights. Our jail was a new facility, but it had a distinguishable unpleasant odor that I can almost smell with I think of it. I can still hear the sounds of heavy metal doors slamming. The air was always frigid and I wore a jacket with my jail issue uniform most of the time. Everything was concrete and metal. There were no signs on the office doors and nothing on the hallway walls. All the corridors looked the same and it took me a while to get it mapped out in my mind.

It's an interesting environment, but one I'd never want to experience from the other side of the thick glass walls that separated inmates from jailers. That's it...the story behind the story!

3 comments:

LeslieJane said...

Sounds like working in a jail is somewhat a soul-stealing environment. Very monotonous, and I would hate the cold. I am glad you were able to get some goom out of it. Now, to look for the book, especially if I don't win it.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a good book.
wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

K. Dawn Byrd said...

The book is available only in eformat, LeslieJane. If you don't know how to read E, there's a blog post on my blog about how to download the Kindle to your computer. It's a free app.
www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com