Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Spotlight: K. Dawn Byrd

Running the Race

Do you ever feel overwhelmed? You're not alone. Between working a full-time job, continual marketing, and life in general, there's little if any time to write. I've found that I have to make time if I'm going to accomplish it at all. Here's my take on getting things done.

Prioritize. What's more important to me personally...the dirty dishes in the sink or an hour of uninterrupted writing time? Can I even leave the dishes and hit the keyboard? A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have made the time to write until everything else was done. I've learned to retrain myself. If I decide that car needs to be washed, the towels need to be removed from the dryer and folded and the carpet needs to be vacuumed, I'll never find time to write. It's at that point that I decide what's most important. Will the world come to an end if I let those things slide for an hour? Or even until tomorrow?

Breaking the task down into small segments helps me to feel less overwhelmed. In November, I took the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) challenge to write 50,000 words in a month. I learned to break it down into 1,667 words per day. On days the creative juices were flowing, I continued past my goal, which allowed me to take a few days off here and there during the month. Now, I try to write something every day. In the past, I wouldn’t write unless I had an hour or two to spare. I've found that fifteen minutes slots work well because my thoughts are flowing even when I leave the keyboard and work on something else. Then, when I return to write, I know where I'm going. You'd be surprised at how much you can get done in several fifteen minute slots.


SherryGLoag said...

Thanks for sharing your take of prioritizing. Housework? At the bottom of my list! But I still find myself 'chasing my tail' sometimes. Your post has reminded me to get focussed, and not miss out on those fifteen minute slots.

LeslieJane said...

Love your take on proritizing. I agree, housework can wait, other things are more important.

By-the-way, did you get the whole 50,000 words during NaNoWriMo? I started, then the computer died early in the month. Did the it working (thanks brother) but too late for me to make up the words. Will try again this month. How about you, you trying again?

K. Dawn Byrd said...

Glad I could help!