Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday Spotlight: Celia Yeary

Is a Series a Good thing?

A series is a group of novels or books that should be read in order as is often the case in speculative fiction and all its sub-genres. The series should have one storyline, and is often without plot re-introduction, reiteration or reminder, save for cursory mention of past events.

However, Category Novel Series, which is more common in romance series, is a set of novels which have their own title and free-standing storyline, and can be read independently or out of sequence, or in sequence. The books may share a particular setting or timeline.

Texas Blue is the first novel in my Texas Trilogy. It tells the love story between Marilee Weston and Buck Cameron, their adventures, and finally their HEA, complete with two little daughters. Texas Promise tells the story of Josie Weston, now grown up and goes by Jo Cameron until she marries her childhood sweetheart, Dalton King. Texas True tells the story of the younger daughter, True Cameron, and her eventual marriage to Sam DeLeon. A fourth Texas novel, All My Hopes and Dreams, is a spin-off from Texas Blue, and tells the story of Cynthia Harrington—who really wanted to marry Buck Cameron—and her impulsive marriage to visiting horse-buyer Ricardo Romero.

As an author and/or a reader, what do you think of series novels? Personally, I love to become involved in a special series, and if I like the author and the books, I’ll keep my eye out for every one. Two authors I follow are Linda Lael Miller (western historical and contemporary) and Mary Balogh (Regency). I also love to write a series.

Texas Blue and All My Hopes and Dreams are available now from The Wild Rose Press.

Texas Promise and Texas True are Coming Soon as the series “The Cameron Sisters” from Desert Breeze Publishing.

Celia Yeary

Romance…and a little bit o' Texas

TEXAS BLUE-eBook and Print




Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi Celia - I wish you all the very best with your Texas romance series. They sound splendid!

I enjoy series novels and will happily read them out of 'order' - I'm working my way through the JB Robb Death series as and when.

As a writer I have my own stand alone knight series of novels - it's interesting to 'pick up' and refer to characters across novels.

Celia Yeary said...

LINDSAY--that's right--I know your series. It seems I naturally write series, or at least tend that way. as I'm writing something, a secondary character makes me think--aha! Another story. Thank you for visitng. Celia

Linda Swift said...

Hi Celia,
I like series, too, and have written a couple, as yet unpublished and in fact, unfinished. I once wrote a "long" short story and had a reader ask me "What are you going to do with Billy Ray now?" and I said "Nothing." I think, as writers, we know when a story is finished! I know the new books in your series will be as wonderful as the two I've read and I look forward to them. Good luck! Linda

Maggie Toussaint said...

Hi Celia,
I'm very excited about your Texas trilogy. I love the continuity of family and the timelessness of romance. Toss in Texas and you've got a sure fire winner every time! I'm a Celia Yeary fan.

StephB said...

Nice post about series writing. It was good to learn the stories in your series and how you set them up. For it's imporant that books stand alone in the romance series. You did a great job explaining the difference.

Good luck

Miss Mae said...

Hi Celia,

Enjoy your spotlight week! :)

As for series, I don't really like them, I guess, because then I feel compelled to read all of them. Having said that, I also want to mention that I absolutely love Elizabeth Peters series involving Amelia Peabody. And it seems I must write a series of my very own character, Winifred Merryweather, and now one with my new Gum Drop Island characters. So.... I'd say a person can change. :)

I know you'll have great success with these, Celia! :)

Debra St. John said...

I love series, whether romance or main stream. I enjoy being able to follow characters I've grown fond of over the course of several books.

Currently I'm working on the third novel in my own series. It's been fun to go back and "visit" characters from other books and let the readers know what's happening with them after their Happily Ever After.

Celia Yeary said...

LINDA--I liked your answer to "what are you going to do with Billy Ray now?" It's similar to readers asking: "When's your next book out?" But you're right--sometimes a story is finished. I'd never write a second book with the same lead character. And...thank you so much for your continued support. It means so much to me. Celia

Celia Yeary said...

MAGGIE--well, we're a good team, becasue I'm a Maggie Fan. And I sure hope I have a winner! Thanks--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

STEPH--thank you. Yes, it is important the book stands alone. I'm reading the third in a series now, but the author has included far too much about the two couples from the first two books. I won't hold it against her, because she's one of my favorites--but this is a case study, in my opinion. Celia

Celia Yeary said...

MISS MAE--I think there's a difference in a "series" and a "sequel." If the same character in the lead in each book, isn't that a sequel? I should study this more! Thank you--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

DEBRA--yes, that's why I like them, too. If I meet a secondary character in a book and I know the author will write his story, too, I can't wait for that next one. And it also makes me pay attention to the good secondary character. Thanks for your comment--Celia

Mona Risk said...

Celia--I love series and wish you the best with your Texas series. I have a Doctor's Order series.

As long as the stories are completely different the reader enjoys finding back the characters. I have seen series where the stories are almost the same and each book looks likea repetition of the other.

Celia Yeary said...

MONA--I so agree. I'm reading a series now--on the last book--and they're too much alike. I love this author, but she's using a plan she's worn out, basically. but you know--they still sell. Even I bought all three. But we can get reader fatigue from reading so many similar books.
Thank you for commenting. Celia

Pat Cochran said...

Hi Celia,

I shouldn't read series books.
I'm one of those folks who must
have all of the series in hand
before reading book 1. Yet I do
love them!

Pat Cochran

Keena Kincaid said...

Hi, Celia. You've posed an interesting question. I love series novels when they make sense. But sometimes they can work against an author. For me, if the author's world isn't that interesting, even if I like her characters, I end up not reading her other books.

Linda Banche said...

I hate reading things out of order. I think you miss something if you haven't read the earlier books first, even when the book is standalone.

Good luck with your books.

Morgan Mandel said...

I enjoy reading series novels, but find a hard time writing them. It seems once I've done a book I can't think of new things to say about a character. I'm hoping to do a spinoff on my new novel, though, about different characters in the book.