Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Celia Yeary

QUOTES TO LIVE BY

I love quotes. The first one I remember using was years ago when we still had teenagers at home, AND I taught teenagers biology. Dealing with this age group on a daily basis tested my patience to the nth degree. After a while, though, I decided I’d “let go—with love.” I read this quote in my horoscope one day: “Live and let live; you cannot control others.” I cut it out and taped it to the bottom corner of my dresser mirror.

Years later, I sold my bedroom set, but I left the quote taped there, hoping the next person could use it. I didn’t need it anymore. I finally learned that valuable lesson.

The quotes I love really tell me something and don’t just sound like griping. I use them as small snippets of wisdom to remind me of a wish, a bad habit I should break, or a worry I should cast away. One is, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Gandhi.

And still another favorite: “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” Maya Angelou

My #1 Favorite is from Elbert Hubbard: “To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.” This, above all others, is my mantra, the sentence I say to myself when I doubt my ability to write, sell a book, and entertain readers. Criticism is my biggest fear. It looms large in my vision. “What will my friends think of me?” “Will I receive good reviews, or those that are stamped ‘not acceptable’?” But if I pay attention to Mr. Hubbard’s advice, I’ll move on, keep going, try harder, and accept the criticism for what it is—a roadmap to success.

I GOOGLED Mr. Hubbard, since I’m using his quote, to learn a little something about him. He lived from 1856 to 1915—not very long. During his lifetime, he worked as a writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. He wrote twenty-six quotes, and if you read them, you learn something about him as a man. And by the way, his very best quote says “Life is just one damned thing after another.” He must have been having a bad day.

Quotes? Do they serve any purpose? What are your favorites? Why?

http://celiayeary.blogspot.com

Celia Yeary

Romance…and a little bit o' Texas

www.celiayeary.com

TEXAS BLUE-eBook and Print

SHOWDOWN IN SOUTHFORK—eBook

ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS-eBook and Print

http://www.thewildrosepress.com

15 comments:

Lindsay Townsend said...

Super quotes, Celia! I like the one about letting go and control - I need to remember that one!

Live and let Live is a fav of mine.

Lovely post!

Linda Swift said...

Celia, I loved all your quotes and actually, I seldom meet a quote I don't like. I have them posted and stuck in books and tucked in my mind. I think one of my very favorites is "The answer is always no if you don't ask. And I apply this to submissions: You've already got a rejection if you don't sumbit. I admire the way you can come up with so many unique, thoughtful, and entertaining subjects to present.
Thanks for another good one today.
Lind

StephB said...

Celia, cool quotes, Sweetie. They are great for setting a mood or a tone. Lord Chesterfield had a bunch about life and living that I liked, but nothing comes to mind.

I'm usually not one for quotes but I do have one quote that has stayed with me since my Senior year in high school and it's my "mantra" for living.

"It must be lucky weather when you find the kind of wind that you need."

Simon LeBon, Duran Duran, from the song, "Lonely in your Nightmare."

I do have a couple of cool quotes on my blog about writing that I adore so I'll share them with you now.
"You can stroke people with words."
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Words are... the most powerful drug used by mankind."
~ Rudyard Kipling

"A word is dead
When it is said, Some say.
I say it just Begins to live
That day."
~ Emily Dickenson

I love Kipling.
Smiles
Steph

Cheryl said...

Hey Celia!

I finally made it over here! Love this post. I really like quotes, but have trouble remembering them. LOL Kind of like jokes--I can't remember them, either. But I really enjoyed the quotes you used in your post--I also have a book of quotes--it's an old book my dad had. I think one of my favorites is,
"Well done is better than well said." I think Franklin said that. I also like the one--and I'm not exactly sure this is how it goes: "Revenge is a dish best served cold." There are so many good ones!

Hugs,
Cheryl

Danielle Thorne said...

Hi Celia. I love quotes--and I collect them. I recently picked up a book for my son called "How to be Totally Miserable" because it was full of wonderful, motivating quotes. One of the most important quotes in my life I try to remember is--There's a time and season for all things--a hard lesson I am still trying to remember.

Celia Yeary said...

LINDSAY--if everyone in the world would only live by this one we'd have a happy world. Thanks--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

LINDA--I love your good quote--it's perfect for us authors!Celia

Celia Yeary said...

OH, STEPH--those are wonderful quotes. Thank you for sharing them--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

CHERYL--would you believe I've never heard any of those? Very wise ones, I'd say. I don't remember jokes or quotes either. I have my favorite quotes written inside a card and I keep it on my desk for inspiration--when I need some! Celia

Celia Yeary said...

DANIELLE--You collect quotes! How wonderful. I love the title of the book your son gave you--very cute.
the "time and season for everything" are truly wise words to live by. Thanks for sotpping by--Celia

Keena Kincaid said...

Hi, Celia,
I'm a fan of Winston Churchill. I love the wry truth that sprouts from his words. My fav? "I like a man who grins when he fights."

Anne Patrick said...

Great post, Celia!

My favs:
“Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." ~ Helen Keller

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Some people exist just to annoy me!" ~ Garfield :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

Great blog Celia. I came across a lovely one by chance when watching a Nora Roberts interview video. I don't know whether it is hers, or whether she quoted someone else but I have it stcuk on my wall above my PC monitor.
"Toy can fix a bod page
But you can't fix a blank one."

Sherry Gloag said...

Sorry ~ Typo fever strikes again --
It should read...
"You can fix a bad page
But you can't fix a blank one"

Laurean Brooks said...

Celia, I like wise quotes, too. I've taped one to the edge of my computer screen to remind me how God came through for me when it looked like "Journey To Forgiveness" would be released with dozens of errors. NOT! At the last minute, He turned the tide. I call it a miracle.

Here's the verse from Psalms 138:8

"The Lord will perfect that which concerns me: Your mercy and loving kindness, O Lord endure forever; forsake not the works of Your own hands."