Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Caitlyn Hunter

Romancing the Legends…

When people find out that I write paranormal romance, they often ask me where I get my ideas. No words of wisdom on that one, I find ideas everywhere but the one place I usually look when I’m not sure what I want to write about is the legends of my Cherokee ancestors. I have countless websites on my favorites list, along with several books on my bookshelves, and every time I go to a library or bookstore I look for more books on Cherokee legends.

Some of that probably comes from the fact that I grew up hearing stories from my Great-aunt Bessie about her mother Lucinda, who was half Cherokee. Being fair-skinned with light hair, it always fascinated me to think that I had that blood running through me—and to this day, it irritates me that I didn’t inherit those cheekbones. I remember once when I remarked that the blood must have skipped me since I had blond hair and didn’t look Cherokee, Aunt Bessie told me that it didn’t matter how much Cherokee blood you have, one drop was enough to make you Cherokee.

Aunt Bessie’s stories stayed with me and when I finally did start writing seriously, it didn’t take long before they came to mind and I began actively researching and seeking out the legends of my ancestors. It helped that about the time my first book was released, my publisher announced a paranormal romance contest and they really wanted stories about shape-shifters. Also around that time my dad sent me a copy of Trail of Tears, The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation by John Ehle. That book, and in particular, one story in the first chapter, set the wheels of my imagination spinning like crazy.

“According to one of the tribal accounts, once long ago a few Cherokees had forgotten their responsibilities to their clansmen, and as a consequence hair grew longer on their bodies and they began to move about on all fours. They ignored the warning of their priests and even failed to revenge the death of fellow clansmen. Eventually they forgot the Cherokee language. In this way the bear was formed, and the bears were ever after made to serve the needs of the Cherokee, their distant kinsman, and to provide meat and fur.”

One short paragraph about an ancient legend was all it took to get me started writing my Eternal Shadows series—and of course to get me searching for more legends, many of which are included in my books. Eventually my fascination with Cherokee legends gave me my tagline and the name for my website: Romancing the Legends…

The second book in my Eternal Shadows series, Storm Shadows, was just released and as with the first, the story is based on an the Cherokee legend of the bear but it also brings in another Cherokee legend about reincarnation and the amount of lifetimes or time a person is given to live. I also have another paranormal romance coming out later this year, Winds of Fate, which is based on the Cherokee legend of the Blowing Rock in North Carolina. I’ve played around with the reincarnation legend in that one too and I’ve also brought in the Cherokee Wind Messengers, particularly the North Wind Messenger.

The point of all my ramblings here today is if you’re a writer and you’re stuck for an idea, find something that interests you, something that incites your passion, and then start researching it. Like me, I’ll bet you’ll find more ideas than you can ever possibly write about.

8 comments:

robynl said...

that's amazing that that one book took you as far as it did; continue writing those stories.

Brandlwyne said...

You have caught my interest... Its interesting to me what you said about being blond and blue eyed and not looking the least bit Cherokee. My husband has Cherokee blood from a few generations back (grandmother) and I have 2 blonde haired blue eyed girls, they have there dad's cheekbones and get the most beautiful tans and our middle daughter who has the beautiful brown eyes and dark hair is very pale... You're aunts are right, it only takes 1 drop of blood but isn't it interesting what genetics do!!! Thanks for the post!!!

brandyzbooks@ yahoo dot com

Christy Tillery French said...

Having read all these books, I highly recommend them. I love the way you weave Cherokee fact and legend into your stories. Wish I had those cheekbones, too!

Moonsanity said...

My grandfather was born in Wales and became a merchant seaman to come to America-- the more I look into related topics and think about that, the more ideas I get. Thanks for the insight!

caitlynhunter said...

Oh Robyn, believe me, I fully intend to write as many of them as I can. I love writing and with these stories I get an added bonus--I love the research too. Doesn't get much better than that!

Caitlyn

caitlynhunter said...

Yes, Brandlwyne, it is interesting what genetics do. Your daughters all sound absolutely lovely. I love that they're showing their Cherokee heritage in different and unique ways!

Caitlyn

caitlynhunter said...

Yeah, Christy, those cheekbones! Along with all the stories Aunt Bessie passed along to us, I really wish she'd passed those cheekbones too! I wonder if Gabi will get them? Of course, with her parents, she won't need them. She's bound to be gorgeous with those genes!

Love ya' - Caitlyn

caitlynhunter said...

You're welcome, Moonsanity! That's exactly what I was talking about and what an interesting subject to research. Good luck and have fun!

Caitlyn