Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Lindsay Townsend

Hello! I'm Lindsay Townsend. I write historical romance and romantic suspense. It's lovely to be back here at LASR! This is my second visit - I appeared in March 2009 on the spotlight and you can read my interviews then here:
http://longandshortarchives.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-spotlight-lindsay-townsend.html

What's been happening since March 2009?

My second ‘knight’ novel, A Knight’s Captive, appeared at the end of March 2009. I've also completed another 'knight' book for Kensington Zebra, called A Knight's Enchantment. This is coming out on June 1st and this is the novel I'm offering this week at LASR as a prize.

I've finished a fourth 'knight' book for Kensington, due out in 2011.

I've had a sweet contemporary romantic suspense, Holiday in Bologna, published by Bookstrand of Siren-Bookstrand.

I've had an erotic novella, Silk and Steel, published by Siren of Siren-Bookstrand.

My sweet romantic suspense, A Secret Treasure has been issued as an audio book by Audio Lark.

I'm one of several authors appearing in an anthology, Cupid Diaries, published by Classic Romance Revival.

This week I'm going to talk about pace in romance, how I create my characters, what I put in and what I leave out, medieval cooking and recipes and today, a few of my favourite places.

Ten of my favourite places:

1. Favourite beach – Holkham Sands in Norfolk.

2. Favourite castle – Alnwick castle in Northumberland (The ‘Hogwarts’ of the ‘Harry Potter’ films.)

3. Favourite spa – Bath in Somerset. (The Aquae Sulis of my historical romance, Flavia’s Secret.)

4. Favourite cathedral – Lincoln cathedral. Its setting, architecture and sheer scale are all amazing.

5. Favourite European country to visit. Italy. Opera and bella figura. Lovely!

6. Favourite Italian city – Bologna. It has the oldest university in Europe, wonderful arcades and bookshops and superb food.

7. Favourite Greek island – Corfu and Rhodes. These two islands are so stunning and the people so friendly that I can’t choose between them.

8. Favourite ancient ritual site – the whole mysterious complex of Silbury Hill and Avebury in Wiltshire.

9. Favourite ancient woodland – some of the woodlands in Cambridgeshire. Wandering in them makes me realize all a wood can be, and how beautiful.

10. Favourite bookshop. Any that stocks my books!



How about you? What and where are your favourite places?

9 comments:

Karen H in NC said...

Hi Lindsay,

Interesting blog today. You are new-to-me author and I look forward to an opportunity to read your work.

I am not a big traveler and except for random visits to Canada, I've never been out of the USA. I enjoy the beaches of Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It doesn't matter if the big lake is quiet or stormy with tall, white capped waves...every visit is an adventure. Just walk along the beaches looking for rocks and drift wood and stumbling over the remnants of ship wrecks are an experience everyone should have.

Linda Acaster said...

Some of your favourite places made me laugh, but some are *very* evocative as being a Brit I know them. Ah Avebury... I've had a fascination for the place since watching a children's TV programme many years ago called "Children of the Stones". I was an adult at the time and thought it very scary. Who would possibly have stuck a village in the middle of a stone circle? It was just ripe for fiction.

Celia Yeary said...

Hi, Lindsay--Most places on your list are unfamilair to me,since I live in Texas. I have traveled throughout most of Europe, the Scandinavian countries, Canada, Mexico, and much of the U.S. I have so many favorite places, but a few: the Canadian Rockies, especially Lake Louise, which the explorer who found it wrote, "I believe I have found the most beautiful place on the face of the earth."; San Miguel, Mexico, and Oaxaca, Mexico down south in the Sierra Madre Mtns.; The Grand Canyon in Arizona; Mustang Island in the Gulf Coast of Texas; London; and...I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. I love lists of all kinds--this one was great. Celia

Virginia C said...

Hi, Lindsay! Congratulations on the success of your "Knights"! I love your top ten list, and I can't wait to read the rest of your posts this week.

I have always wanted to visit Scotland, but lately I have been hearing the siren call of France and Italy! I live in the beautiful mountains of Southwest VA. I'm very proud of my home state of VA. It's rich in history and cultural diversity, food, wine, music, mountains and seashores, and I could happily travel extensively throughout the state : )

Linda Banche said...

Hi Lindsay. Tomorrow's your big day! Congrats!

I don't care to travel much. But I would say my favorite place is Mohonk in New Paltz, NY. There's a lake, and mountains and flowers, although they have to fence the roses in to keep the deer out. My husband and I got married there.

Dena said...

Great list Lindsay. A lot of wonderful places. Mine is Newport beach in Oregon.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi Karen, Linda, Celia, Virginia, Linda and Dena.

Thanks for your interesting comments and thanks, too, for sharing your favourite places.

Savanna Kougar said...

Lindsay, congrats on all your wonderful success!

Honestly, I think Mother Earth as a whole is my favorite place.

Bekki Lynn said...

I love any place that allows me to smile and relax. Even if it's a place I'm only reading about.

We like weekend trips, but haven't taken any in a while. That really needs to change.

I love a quiet, nearly empty campgrounds as much as I love Cooperstown during Hall of Fame weekend.