Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Jessica Andersen

Why write a series about the Mayan 2012 Doomsday?

I’m a huge fan of books and movies that have lots of action and romance in them, but are spiced up with interesting factoids that I didn’t already know (National Treasure, DaVinci Code, etc.).

So when I came across a reference to the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012, I immediately saw the potential for a high-action, high-intensity series based on a mythology that hasn’t been done to death in the paranormal romance and urban fantasy markets.

Part of my fascination comes from having spent time down in the Yucatan as a kid. My parents would pull me out of school for a few weeks every spring (much to my teachers’ relief, I suspect) and we would go investigate the ruins, which were in the process of being restored at the time.

They’re far more regulated and tourist-ified now, but back then, ruin ratting was a total Indiana Jones, creep-through-the-collapsing-tunnel experience. I try to bring that excitement and wonder to the books.

The Nightkeepers are fighting the rise of ancient demons who were banished from the earth many millennia ago. But at the same time, they were raised among us, so they’re also dealing with the disconnect between modern life and some of the things the old prophecies require them to do in order to defend mankind in the years leading up to the 2012 doomsday.

For me, it’s really interesting to blend archaeology and 2012 cosmology into sexy urban fantasies. I’m writing the kind of books I love to read, but can’t always find on the shelves!

That’s especially the case for my newest release, Demonkeepers, which is about an Indiana Jones wannabe who never quite measures up until a twist of magic brings him powers beyond belief … and reunites him with Jade, the one-night stand he never forgot.

FMI about the series and Demonkeepers, please visit


Lisa said...

Your series sounds fascinating. I love your subject, end of the world, 2012...something people have been fascinated about forever.

The Yucatan, and discovering those ruins must have been incredible!

Jessica Andersen said...

Hey Lisa! Thanks for the shout out! The ruins made a huge impression on me, and I try to bring that feeling to the books. Along with lots of running, screaming, hot sex ... :)

Cathy M said...

I think this series is fascinating, Jessica. You fill each story with amazing facts that I have long since forgotten from my history classes.

Brenna Ash said...

Hi Jess! Waving to ya from Maine. As you know, I LOVE this series, but something I thought you might like to know, I even got my husband into it. He's always been interested in the Mayans and the 2012 doomsday prophecy and when I told him about the series, he was totally interested. Great interview. I'm looking forward to reading DemonKeepers.

Jessica Andersen said...

@ Cathy- Thanks so much! It's a delicate balance between me wanting to put in all these cool things (not all of which have anything to do with the story), and my critique partner and editor cracking the whip to keep me focused on the story. Snicker.

@ Brenna- Hey! (waves back) I was just the other day trying to talk a guy friend into the series by telling him that I know a number of husbands that have picked up the books and love them. Will add your hubs to the list! Thanks for the wave, hi to hubby, and hope you love DemonK :)

chey said...

This series sounds great! I'll have to look for you books.

Jessica Andersen said...

chey- Thanks! I hope you'll check them out (or win them this week!)

robynl said...

I had never heard of this before now or at least it never perked my attention if I did hear. Thanks for this.