Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Annie Marshall

I started late in the game when it came to reading romance novels. Most of what I loved to read was ghost stories, mysteries, medieval history, and travel books. I loved the fact that I could pick up a book and go anywhere.

At the time it all started, I was in the Army, so there was always the necessary task manual that needed studying and let’s face it, reading romance would have undoubtedly set me up for a ton of ribbing from the guys.

I was twenty years old when I was standing in the Army and Air Force Exchange Service bookstore looking for something new to read and nothing was striking my fancy. As I was getting ready to leave empty handed and disappointed, one of the sales clerks opened a box and pulled out this dark pink book with a silver gauntlet holding a white rose on the front cover. The title A Knight in Shining Armor popped out in bold white letters by an author named Jude Deveraux. So entirely on a whim, I bought the book because after all, wasn’t it a sin to walk out of a bookstore empty handed?

That evening after dinner was over and the dishes were done, I grabbed the book off my end table and began to read.

I laughed, then I cried, then I laughed again as I read through this exquisite tale of heartbreak, desire, and mystery. And then they kissed. Wow was all I could say and I couldn’t get to the next page quick enough. Then there I was towards the end of this time-travel tale when the unthinkable happened. I fell madly in love. The romance, the humor, the happily-ever-after had my heart and mind in its grasp and before I knew it, I was greeting the sunrise as I read its last page.

I set the book down on my coffee table and exhaled; again, wow. Then with a yawn, one would think that sleep was in order. Oh, no. All I could think of was more.


Lisa said...

That's exactly how I feel about really good romantic fiction. Wow. When you find a story that follows you, that you find yourself thinking about days afterward, that's when you know you're hooked. What a great feeling it is...

Susan Blexrud said...

Knight in Shining Armor was one of my first romance reads. Loved it. One of these days, I'm going to re-read it. I wonder if I'll like it as much as the first time. Lovely interview, Annie. Hope all is well with you.

Jannine said...

Jude Deveraux was won of my favorite authors when I started reading romances. Since her book was a time travel, did it influence the type of books you write?

I just want to stand up and clap, Annie. Brava for your time in serving our country. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

robynl said...

I also read Jude Deveraux many years ago. I might have to go and find a book or 2 of hers to read again.

Virginia C said...

The first romance authors that I read were Georgette Heyer, Barbara Cartland, and Jane Aiken Hodge. I still love their work! The author who really made me a historical romance devotee was the late, great Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. Her book, "Ashes in the Wind", is my all-time favorite romance read!