Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Silver James

The Time Has Come

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."


That stanza, from a poem by Lewis Carroll, was used by the author O. Henry as the basis for his book, CABBAGES AND KINGS. I've read both ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, where Carroll first unveiled the poem, and Henry's book. Both are works of fantasy and both had an impact on my early childhood psyche. I was lucky. My dad put books in my hands early and often, and allowed me to access books far beyond what many would have considered appropriate for my tender age. He taught me an appreciation for the classics and “pulp fiction” – westerns, science fiction, spy thrillers. I read Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour. Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton. Ian Fleming. Shakespeare's plays, Alexandre Dumas, Mary Shelley, and Robert Louis Stevenson. And every one of these books led me to one conclusion—I wanted to write romance. Why? Because despite the swashbuckling, the swaggering derring-do, intrigue, or the way life might be in the future, every one of these writers had romance in their stories. Sometimes it was more sex than love, but there was romance there, too.

Studies abound on why readers flock to romance novels. Me? I read them because I want to know there's hope for that Happy Ever After somewhere. Even when life looks pretty grim, I can curl up with a good romance and escape for a bit. When I write a book, I want to provide the same for my readers. I want to take them away from their lives and give them a chance to dream of far off places, of heroes and heroines who manage, despite what life throws at them, to find their HEA.

Thanks for hanging around this week while I rambled on. I hope you enjoyed our time together as much as I did. Be sure to visit me over at www.silverjames.com. I'm there every day. Thanks also to Marianne and Judy for letting me drop by this week. LASR rocks! May all of you find your Happy Ever After!

FAERIE FATE available now in ebook and print: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/faerie-fate-p-3965.html

2 comments:

Paula R said...

Hey Silver, it has been a great week here. I learned alot about you, your process, and Iffy...I like her...LOL!!!

See you in the Shadows.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Silver James said...

As much as I complain about her, Paula, I'm rather attached to the little scamp. Iffy makes writing an "experience." LOL